win 98 shut down issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright....as of now,...i can only come up with two possibilities...ONE...is possible physical defects on your hardware. TWO...bios settings.

I was searching around the internet and found that emachines are put together with all sorts of differnet parts laying around a wharehouse...ouch. Anyway i'm argreing with devlish, it's most likely a problem in your bios, when the computer boots up, press whatever key you need to load your bios and just look around at all of the stuff in there, if anything is out of place, change it and try shutting down the computer, if that doesn't work see if there is an update for your bios @ the emachines.com website? :)

went to the emachine web site and checked for bios updates .. then contacted tech support (no help) they do not support or have bios updates and they do not recommend them as they are from a korean company and performing the updates have caused serious problems for other users.

Also made it through step 11 .. i disabled all and still the computer does not shut down. grrrrr i am beginning to think that it is hopeless. i ordered a new power supply and am praying that it helps but i have serious doubts. that will be $40 down the drain. i am so glad that i did not buy this system and will never ever ever purchase an emachine. Just want to get it up and running so i can give it away.

also how do you know what is suppose to be in your bios and what is not ... ????

Shan stated : "you need to load your bios and just look around at all of the stuff in there, if anything is out of place, change it and try shutting down the computer"

i am not exactly sure how one would determine if anything is out of place or if it belongs in there or not.

How could i determine if it is bios related or hardware related ??? could it be power supply? just not sure.. i have tried all that has been suggested and still stinking thing will not shut down grrrrrr. frustration has set in.

I totally appreciate all of your assistance and suggestions ... have learned a lot and have run out of ideas.

by the way,..you can update your bios by downloading the update from the mobo manufacturer, not the pc vendor(emachine) site.

and while youre at the manufacturer site,..grab a copy of the mobo's manual,..they have it there, hopefully.

i have a copy of mobo manual now but i cant locate any bios updates.

the mobo is a florida-tg1017 manufactured by tri-gem. any ideas?

alright,..now you can setup the bios...i think the mobo manual will run you thought all the setting there.

This is all of the information that was in the manual about bios:

BIOS

The motherboard uses a TriGem-AMI BIOS, which is stored in flash memory and can be upgraded using a disk-based program. A new version of the BIOS can be upgraded from a diskette using the Flash Memory Update utility.

q Flash memory organization

Address (Hex) Size Functional description
FFFF0000 - FFFFFFFF 64KB Boot block
FFFA0000 - FFFEFFFF 256KB Main BIOS block
FF9F0000 - FFF9FFFF 8KB Used by BIOS (Event logging)
FFF9E000 - FFF9EFFF 8KB OEM logo or can flash area
FFF9C000 - FFF9DFFF 16KB DMI configuration data, PnP,
FFF90000 - FFF9BFFF 96KB Fault tolerant storage
FFF80000 - FFF8FFFF 64KB Fault tolerant backup block

q On-board device management

The BIOS can manage the devices on the motherboard over the CMOS setup menu. However the corresponding jumper as described Jumper setting section later can disable the built-in AGP graphics controller.

Device Description CMOS setup menu Default value
Internal Cache Celeron PPGA Processor Enable / Disable Enabled
PS/2 Mouse Intel 82371EB (PIIX4e) Enable / Disable Enabled
USB Function Intel 82371EB (PIIX4e) Enable / Disable Enabled
On board Sound CS4280 with CS4297 Codec Enable / Disable Enabled
On board FDC Super I/O (ITE8673) Auto / Enable / Disable Auto
On board serial Super I/O (ITE8673) Auto / 3F8 / 2F8 / 3E8 / 2E8 Auto
On board parallel Super I/O (ITE8673) Auto / Disable / 378 / 278 / 3BC Auto
On board IDE Intel 82371EB (PIIX4e) Disable / Primary / Secondary / Both Both

Not exactly sure what to do with this info.

i fixed it.. i ended up going into device managers /system devices/advanced power management support (double click)/ clicked the box that says disable in this hardware profile. I restarted the system then i enabled it the advanced power management support and shut down the computer.. it shut down all of the way and did not restart. I restarted and shut down now 4 times consecutively. I want to do it a few more time just to be sure lol :) . I have no idea why it worked but it did ... I also have no idea what was wrong.. any ideas i would love to hear them ... thanks again for all of your help and suggestions ... you are all wonderful for helping me out!!

lol well it is NOT fixed right after i posted this here it started doing it again... grrrrr i hate this computer ... i went from being happy to grrr in just a few seconds .. any other ideas i am open to suggestions including sledge hammer this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom