RDRAM, DDR, and DDR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
RDRAM is supposed to get 800MHZ to 1066MHZ speeds, and probbably the only reason it wasn't popular is because
there were very few motherboards that supported it
it cost a lot

I know of one board, the Gigabyte 8IHXP that supported RDRAM, although it had a 533MHZ FSB for the P4's

RDRAM at 800MHZ actually transfers at 200MHZ
but it transferred 4 pieces of data at a time

DDR400 RAM actually transfers at 200MHZ also, but it transfers 2 pieces of data at a time (hence the name double data rate)

The RDRAM I have is the 1066mhz. I wonted 1Gig of it but I could have bought a whole new system for the price of the ram. Anyone wanna buy it ????

RDRAM was a form of memory that Intel tried unsuccessfully to push on the computer world. It was ahead of it's time, but very expensive to make and buy. AMD decided to use cheaper DDR memory and eventually won out over Intel and DDR became the more widely used memory in systems.

DDR2 is new and faster than DDR, but as with anything "new" in the PC world, there may be bugs with your hardware. Usually this has to do with new motherboards and timing support for the different kinds of RAM. Eventually all the compatability problems are worked out as newer bios's are released by the motherboard manufacturer's.

If you plan on updating to a new systems, and do plan to use a DDR2 MTB, check the manufacturer's web site for a memory compatability list. It could save you some headaches.

As for DDR3, I have not seen any MTBs supporting it yet, but have seen it on the new generation VGA cards. I could be out of the loop though. :)

Rambus Rimms....Another one of Intel's proprietary schemes.

They work fine, but not supported as much anymore... They work similar to DDR, but you wont get the price competency like you do with ddr.

DDR2 does not have any problems. The thing is that they have extremely high speeds, but come with CAS Latencies of 4 which is horrible and that is the preset. The user ends up doing the tweaking like I did. My DDR2 is currently running with latencies of 3-2-3-8 (don't know if that is right order, but yeah) and that is some of the best timings for DDR2.

RDRAM has data rate of 800 MHz, but the interface is only 16-Bit I believe and the best it came with was 32-Bit. RDRAM came at data rate of 1066 MHz too and that was fast. However, the only reason RDRAM did not become popular was because Rambus refused to allow other companies to manufacture RDRAM. They were basically money hogs. On top of that, RDRAM was way ahead of its time and this added to manufacturing costs. Think about it, 1066/800/600 MHz data rate and a 16/32-Bit interface, it really does add up. In the end, RDRAM performed equally to DDR cause of the 16/32-Bit interface. This would be the perfect time for RDRAM. Intel pushes things on the market too much. BTX, I think is one of the few that will be beneficial at least for Intel consumers. Still, this would be the perfect time for RDRAM as long as it comes with at least a 64-Bit interface or a dual channel 128-Bit interface and rights get distributed to other companies so it can be mass manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom