Fan Controller + Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo82

In Runtime
Is it possible to hook up a neon strip or cathode tube to a fan controller so you can change the brightness?

Has anyone done it ?

Basically you would need a variable resistor and connect that onto the power cable going into the inverter on the 12v line , Some cheap fan controllers use variable risistors while others use lots of electronics which i dont think would work to well no a ccfl.

Don't know if it would be a good idea to undervolt things like cathode tubes...I've heard of many instances where they tend to get really hot and sometimes catch fire as it is muchless changing the voltage and brightness regularly.

You might look at the Sunbea Rheobus as it's a nice controller with 20w per channel which is higher than most fan controllers I've seen. Not sure if they use variable resistors though

Basically you would need a variable resistor and connect that onto the power cable going into the inverter on the 12v line
With the rheobus you should simply be able to take a 4pin to 3pin adapter and plug that straight into the controller.

Yeah I have the Rheobus, it's an awesome controller. Have it controlling all my fans, like 10 total.

I wasn't 100% about controlling a cold cathode only because I hadn't really read into it before. Of course it seemed possible, but whether it was safe to do was my concern.

Anyway, yeah it cost me like $20-$25 US when I bought it, but it may be more expensive being in the UK

I can only find it on one website but I haven't used it before.

It's about $32.

Are the LEDs on the controller that bright ?

Well...what's considered bright to you? A Cold cathode will be extremely bright, but yes they put in Super LED's in this thing so at night time they are a bit bright. I never notice it because it's on the floor down by feet and I always have a light on, but I suppose if you sleep with your computer on it could be a bit bright.

However, as I'm sure you read the lights can be turned off unlock most fan controllers. This knob will actually click and turn off including the LED's.

Overall though the answer is yes, they are pretty bright because like I said they are Super LED's, why they decided to do that I don't know.

In lou of posting another topic, does anyone know if I can use my fan controller with a fan that only has a molex connector, and the black and red wires to it (no yellow). I plan on cutting and connecting and such but will it still work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom