PC hangs after startup - even in setup and windows install!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardnacrusha

Beta member
Hi,
I was given an LCD PC PIII 1Ghz from a pal but it did not have any ram - I bought some ram (512mb pc133 sdram) and it boots up fine - but after 1 - 4 minutes it hangs! If I start windows 98 which is already installed it just freezes or if I go to the bios setup page and try to make changes it freezes (it does not ever respond in here actually - I can never change the highlighted menu or selection with the cursor keys) and finally, when I run the windows XP installation it hangs during setup.

Any ideas folks? Have I got a bad motherboard or bios or something?

Many thanks,

D

I opened her up and found a label on the board itself: 'insyde, by insyde software' and it also says BIOS-K AT 3396 - whatever that means!

Does that answer your question? Was I looking in the right place?

There is another number stamped onto the board itself - it is 71-P2T00-005 and another label with 'PC20S01l01664'. The PC itslelf is one of those all in ones with the motherboard and hard drive build into the lcd and base - the brand name on the front is 'LCD PC' is that of any help?

Thanks very much for the help

man,thats a bit hard,...do you have a pic? i've searched for LCD PC on the web,...so far i came up with just 3 LCD pcs,..and they dont even match your description. however,..i'm willing to bet that youre problem might be RAM related. how old is this pc ?

Actually - I just checked the box (duh) and the type of LCD PC is:

LP 200 SE

Check out: http://www.maxmedia.com.au/LCD.html

I am not sure how old it is to be honest. I might be able to get some ram here is work to test out that theory - I will let you know how I get on :)

Thanks!

I think there is a limit in W98 to the amount of RAM it can handle (384mb?). To use more I think you need to do some system changes (vcache) BEFORE installing the extra RAM, I think.

XP can be fussy about the quality of the RAM installed, is your new RAM from a good manu? Is it on 2 sticks (2 X 256MB), if it is try removing one stick when installing XP.

An old trick with SDR memory when installing XP is to reduce the FSB from 133 (mem) to 130 as sometimes the mem/mobo internal clock can be slightly out.

But if you can't get into the BIOS.........

Is the pc originally from a company? If so it might have its BIOS password protected locking you out. That picture doesn't look like it has a standard mATX or ATX mobo/case to me.......

It may be more cost effective (in the long run when time/hair pulling is considered) to buy a new case and a branded P3 mobo and just swap out the parts, if that is possible. Or use an AMD chip with a mobo that supports SDR & DDR and upgrade as you have the money.

1. check the bios when it boots. Does it see your memory? (check the quick memory test while booting)

2. Go to the mobo's manuf web site and see if there is a bios update. maybe a good flash of the bios will fix this issue.

3. Could just be a bad board. Does the case feel hot? Do you have cooling on the CPU?

4. Take out every perephial. Modem, NIC's, sound card, all that. Could be an IRQ conflict that's locking it up. Boot up with only your vid card and see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom