How do I upgrade my cpu? Can I go from 800 celeron to p4 1.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakranii

Solid State Member
I have an hp with celeron 800 mhz. I found someone selling a p4 1.8 ghz cpu with heatsink and fan for $50. First of all, is this a good price for it? Second, how can I know if my motherboard will take this kind of an upgrade?

I've put in pci/agp cards and extra drives, but never gone beyond that, so motherboards and cpus are new to me.
thanks for any help.

I would say no on the price if its used, its probably an old williamete as for the mobo doubtful, check to see if its socket 478.

How would I check to see if it's a socket 478? Would I have to look at the hardware itself, or would it be documented in system info somewhere on my comp?

I sincerely doubt it, the P4 is either a 478 or a 423 williamete that celeron is a 370 i'm about 98% sure. Not 100% sure its been awhile but i'm confident enough to just say nah, forget it.

The P4 is not compatable with your motherboard - really just don't try it.

You'll need a new motherboard to make this work - and don't buy second hand CPUs its a bad idea purely because the time someone is most likely to damage a CPU is when taking it out or putting it in.

i always use www.newegg.com they have cheap prices with good service and very fast shipping. i always get the cheapest shipping available and always get everything with in 48hours. And for the CPU. i just bought that cpu 1.8ghz celeron of newegg.com and have it set up on my msi p4mam-v motherboard. sepnt under $60 including shipping so $50 for it used is a rip off.

I would see if your computer could handle a P3 1ghz. It will give you a big performance jump from the 800 celeron. It is ok for some light gaming with a decent card. You can play games like GTA3/Vice city and some other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom