Registry problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
I'm leaning towards reloading this computer, but wanted to check to make sure there's nothing I can do.

I've got a friends system who's kid loaded a game on her machine without her permission. The game never would never finish loading and the install had to be cancelled. Next time the machine was rebooted, the windows XP screen comes up, then a blue screen with the following:

stop: c0000218 -{registry file failure}
registry cannot load the Hive (file)
/systemroot/system32/config/software
or its log or alternate
it is corrupt, absent, or cannot writable

It then does a physical memory dump and says to contact the system admin for further assistance.

Anything I can try, or should I just reload it? I've read up on Microsoft.com, but don't see anythign that helps me if I can't load Windows at all.

try booting to safe mode, remove all traces of the game in msconfig and in the registry.
may take some work

what is the game?

I'm not sure what game it was. I know the kid tried it on his computer and it wouldn't complete, then he tried it on his mom's. Big trouble.

Anyway, I've tried safe mode and last good configuration and get nothing. It takes different routes, but always winds up at the same blue screen.

I'm thinking it's dead. I was able to get in and back up her data with Knoppix, so reloading isn't a huge deal other than the time it takes to do it.

you have an option or two, but I'm not sure you'll like them...
1. You can make a copy of the file that is reported to be corrupt and fix it.
2. load the default software hive by changing the current name to .new or whatever and then removing the name software.old to software (no extention) That will let the system use the original hive.
3. system restore from the XP recovery console... (probably the best option)

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom