new card

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazlunatic

In Runtime
I have an ATI Radeon 9200 SE, and learned it is MUCH SLower than a regular 128 MB Radeon 9200.

I get 40 fps on source, probably 30 on hl2, but it feels smooth. Just some noticable choppy but feels like 70 fps on cs.

Anyway, it chops on doom 3 though, even when settings are lowed out.

So I want a cps gain, probably at least 70 on hl2.

I'm not one of those hardcore gamers that want 100fps on everything, so I'm wondering what cheap gfx card I should get that should be able to last me for at least 3-5 years.

Thanks.

Last 3-5 years ? Well cheap and lasting that long probably don't belong in the same sentance the way technology is moving so fast. But a great, cheap card that will play newer games pretty damn well is a 9600XT from Ati.

Hmm, I don't know to much about that particular model. Give me a few minutes and I'll go see what I can gather about it and tell you what I think about it. I haven't been keeping up to date with Ati's lower end cards lately.

Thanks dude, a few hours passed :p

Just kidding, sure, thanks.

I'm not so sure either, and benchmarks mean nothing to me, well, sometimes.

For a bit of improvement, you can overclock your card if you haven't. I find that these softmodded drivers work well (techpowerup.com/softmod/downloads.php) with RadClocker (users.adelphia.net/~webspace/RadClocker2026.zip). My speeds are at 261/234.

I would have to say the X700Pro or one of the 6600's the normal one or the GT if you want a card to last for 3 to 5 years to be safe.

I would suggest you go for the 6600GT becuase its the best bang for $ and will last you longer than the rest as well as the 9600XT.

Neosteve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom