Partition Magic Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric,
He has already low level formatted the disk as previously written on this post. If you are aware of exaclty what low level formatting does then you would see where your conclusion on the win 98 boot disk does not fit in. If you do not understand then you have my sympathy.

Next Fox has already explained twice he has checked the settings on the back of the drive.

Thank you for the late repeat information though.

This is my last post on the matter.

Steve M said:
Eric,
He has already low level formatted the disk as previously written on this post. If you are aware of exaclty what low level formatting does then you would see where your conclusion on the win 98 boot disk does not fit in. If you do not understand then you have my sympathy.

Next Fox has already explained twice he has checked the settings on the back of the drive.

Thank you for the late repeat information though.

from what I've read he said he had no pin on it once and the other time he said his friend formatted it as slave.

you don't know how many people had came to me with this problem on this particular 80 gig hard drive (you can buy this hard drive for $50.00-$60.00 at microcenter, a local store. $83.00 for the 160gig, so everybody has one. www.microcenter.com). each time it took me 2 second to fix this problem by putting the pins in the proper place. do you understand that?

who cares are about the formatting? you must have missed the part about that is my personal preference. plus it has extra tools I have seen in the past where microsoft's deletion tools has left the boot sector alone. I don't know if fdisk do this or not. Ontrack's does delete it. who cares though.

Before you jump too quick to run your mouth, go get you a samsung hard drive. then you will seee.... that they don't have basic settings like most hard drives.

I bet if he follows my instruction and set the pins in the proper place and partition and format it as NTFS with his XP cd, I bet it will show up as 80gig (74.5). If you are going to correct me, at least have the nerve to be right.

Alright ...
The one issue I have with formatting it to ntfs is he is using it on wiin98se. So I can't.
Even as a slave on my pc with no jumper, it still sees it as 32.4gb. After low level formatting, it sees the maximum as 74.5gb, but actual as 31.4.
This drive has been wiped I don't know how many times now, and still the problem persists. So the easy solution is to just go back to the store where he got it, and let them have a go at it.
After all, they do cover the hardware for x amount of days, so since I cannot bring it to an ntfs partition(which I did just to see .. and yes it came in as 74.5gb) cause of win 98se, my best option is to send him to the shop with the drive so they can do their stuff.
Don't want to do something that they won't like you know ;)

~ Fawks

Oh I didn't know your friend was keeping it. try this before you take it back to the store. format it as ntfs on your machine. use Partition magic to convert it to fat32 and give it back to him and see if it will recognize it

Well, we took the drive back today, I went along just to see what they were going to try. They did the same as me, low level formatting, fdsik, partition magic, Win xp to change the disk size. Nothing worked. So they gave him a replacement drive, and they just verified that it was 80gb. So he paid them like 20 bucks to set all the partitions he wanted on it ... I woulda done it for ten lol.

~ Fawks

I am glad you got it resolved! I knew you were checking the jumpers correctly never a doubt in my mind unlike some.

Red Fox said:
so since I cannot bring it to an ntfs partition (which I did just to see .. and yes it came in as 74.5gb)
~ Fawks

I see someone missed this

Steve. grow up.

He ask a question. you answer. I answered. I have personally fixed about probably 10 different people computer with this exact same hard drive, with the exact same problem. If I had his hard drive, I would have fix it, unless it was damaged.

this is a forum about helping people. it is not about hating on people. if you don't like my response, simply ignore it. Didn't your parents teach you that "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I didn't tell him to disregard any of your posts (until you told him to disregard mine). Read my profile. I help people with their computer questions.

Please keep this a civiized discussion.....damn did somebody merge these threads?, I don't remember seeing some of these response here before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom