Cutting Costs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I still have a couple questions. You were talking about the Kingston RAM pc3700 512x2, for $79. The Corsair XMS pc3200 512x2 for $198 is what I was origianlly going to get. Why is the Corsair so much more expensive, and is the Kingston still a good choice. Would it still perform good, without breaking? So if any of you have experience with Kingston RAM, please comment. I was also told to get a PCIe slotted video card, thing is I can't find the 6600GT with a PCIe slot as well as a motherboard, that is compadible. If anyone knows were I can find one please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Kingston is different from Kingmax

I said Kingmax in my post, but Kingston is still pretty good, still more pricey than Kingmax, but not as pricey as Corsair

I've used Kingston, Kingmax and Corsair before, ant they are all good modules, the main difference being price

Corsair sell their RAM at high prices because they can; people think they are getting a lot better with corsair, so they pay more, when in reality there is not much difference

*edit* the Gigabyte K8NF-9 has PCI-E, you might want to look at that

Cool, one more question. I am going to need speakers, and was wondering how bad the sound would be one some cheap $30 set opposed to a nicer $70 one? If you know anything about this, please let me know.

So your saying the sound would come out of the motherboard, and I do not need to purchase speaker. Or are you talking about a sound card?

He is talking about a sound card. Get the $30 speakers for now. They wont be that good but I would wont better performance than sound for now then upgrade the speakers later. I didn't really look at your system on the previous page but if you are planning on buying a sound card, don't. On board sound (comes integrated into the motherboard) is a lot better than it use to be. Plus, why have a sound card with a pair of $30 speakers ? As for the WD Raptors, yes, they will increase load and save times. That's good but I would get the 80GB 7200 rpm drive for now and maybe upgrade some of the other components. Have the system balanced. Ex: Why drive a Porsche and live in a single wide ? (not meant to be offensive)

oh I thought you said a sound card.... my bad
I think Logitech make pretty good speakers

I got myself a set of Shark Cannon V speakers (5.1), which were $70 aus, and they make really good sound
not sure where you can get them in the US

Here is a setup - Total $1025 - couldnt really get it lower (Get a cheaper case) -Hope it helps Some stuff from Zipzoomfly Other from Newegg

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor Skt 939 & Asus A8V-Deluxe Via K8T800Pro Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 Motherboard Retail Bundle ***Free 2nd Day*** $331 Link

Raidmax Black Aluminum Game Case w/ 420 Watt PS - Retail $88.88

SAMSUNG 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1213C, OEM Drive Only $79.00 [http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-017&depa=1]Link[/URL]

Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail $137 Link

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "128-A8-N350" -RETAIL $219 - this one is AGP 8x the other one appeared to be a Pci Express one on Newegg's site Link

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM, Model SOHD-167T Black, RETAIL $24.99 Link

Windows XP Home - $79
Floppy Drive - $7
Keyboard - $10
Used Dell 17' Monitor - $50
Logitech Digital Mouse - Already Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom