Graphics Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyuk_26

Beta member
Please help!.
I`m going out of my mind with this problem. :)
I have just recently built another system, primarily for playing games. HL2 and Doom3 etc. but having some problems at the moment.
The problem is whenever I am playing some of the high graphically taxing games they will last roughly 5-10 mins before booting me back to desktop. Grrr.

Playing around in desktop and surfing is not a problem, its only
when playing intensive games.
I have already checked temps etc. MBM says CPU is running at 31`c and case is around 22`c. also GPU is running around 66`c.

Specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1GB corsair PC 3200
Asus A8V deluxe mobo
Antec 450W PSU.

Inno GeForce 6800GT 256mb.

I have also tried this on Win XP Sp2 and Win 2K pro. same results.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance and please be gentle. ;)

Andy.

Wow, i dont know what to say. Since you say it only happens while playing intensive games, i guess that the system isent fast enough. But thats all top of the line hardware, so somthing should be wrong. Im builting a very similar system.

66C is too hot for gfx, in game it might get uo to 75-80C, at those temps crashing to desktop is expected. i think you need better gfx card cooling. Or just slap an 80mm on your card and see if that helps.

Thats definantly not too slow, my athlonxp paired with 6600gt kills all games ive thrown at it so far, hl2 doom3 ect. True, your gfc might be running way to hot.

My graphics card gets up to near 80*C at stock speeds and I dont have any problems. Could be a PSU issue, but i dunno.

beedubaya said:
My graphics card gets up to near 80*C at stock speeds and I dont have any problems. Could be a PSU issue, but i dunno.

Depending on what card it is the damage/fryin temp might be ~90C if not less. 80C is dangerously close, your card just might be suited to run alot hotter than the one he has. I know on an Albatron FX5900XT card i was playing Thief 3 on, and after about an hour (75C) the game would start messing up, it would crash to desktop, and if i didn't cool it off quick it would freeze. An 80mm fan on it solved the problem...probably took it down to 50-60C.

PSU problem might be worse...as they aren't that cheap to replace. Just check your rails and see if they are ~ what they are sposed to be (3.3v, 5.0v, 12.0v.) A program like SpeedFan will tell you pretty quick, but there are others out there as well.

Well, the ATI X800s are designed to withstand until 100*C guaranteed. 120*C is the theoretical die temperature according to ATI.

beedubaya said:
Well, the ATI X800s are designed to withstand until 100*C guaranteed. 120*C is the theoretical die temperature according to ATI.

what about the "Inno GeForce 6800GT 256mb"? That's what he's running. would the manufacturer tell you? I'm off to Google lol.

beedubaya said:
Sorry, I dunno about the correct temps for Nvidia cards, although I wouldn't think his is too high.

Yah i can't even find a website for Inno:( But i got this off of a review of the card:

"However while overclocked I noticed a little bit increase in temps, and will idle around 61-62°C while spiking sometimes to 67°C after games, which is still very good in my opinion. To me that warning temperature is very high and I bet even at 80 or 90°C it would cause a lot of damage. Maybe nVIDIA should revise that?"

Running in the 60-70C range is fine i guess for this card, past that maybe issues. I did notice on one comparison of the 6800GT vs. X800PRO the nvidia was ~50C and the ATi was ~70C. I think that might show that ATi's cards are designed to run a bit hotter, and therefore can run 80-90C no probs, while nvidia's cards would start acting up ~ those temps.

But who knows, that could have been a bogus review, or maybe my conclusions were way off. I still suggest adding cooling in some way or fashion, and if the problem stops...then that was your problem. If it persists to crash to desktop, then I am a rambling retard who needs to go to bed.

Goodnight!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom