Should a person go xp athlon or is 64 necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
like i said... the a64 is the way to go... dont listen to these cats... why get a garbage sempron when u can get the a64 for an extra $20?
While I agree with you that a Sempron is not the most powerful proccesor out there right now, it works just fine with fairly low demanding applications, such as word proccesing, internet browsing, and media player use. Why should he spend money on proccesor power which he doesn't need?

in reality, you won't notice any difference between it and an Athlon 64 unless you actually do use 64-bit applications, and currently there aren't any
I really don't know where people are getting this idea that just because a 64 bit proccesor, it only excels in 64 bit applications. This is totally untrue. The Athlon 64s are some of the fastest 32 bit proccesors availible on the market today. The benchmarks speak for themselves, and guess what, the benchmarks are performed in 32 bit applications.

Does the 64 have more defenses against viruses? I think I read that somewhere.
Proccesors have nothing to do with virus protection as far as I am aware.

gaara is right man. the hypertransport alone makes the a64 the fastest 32-bit processor.

ingeborgdot, a64 does not have anymore protection against a virii than any other processor. virii protection is all software based. [/B][/QUOTE]
But it says so when I just went to the amd site. Here it is:
All AMD64 processors, including the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX, AMD Athlon 64, and Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors, are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection. With Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you will be able to fully utilize the security technology*. By providing extra security at the platform level, AMD lets you easily embrace the future of computing. This technology can deliver added protection for the applications of today and tomorrow. As a result, you can enjoy real peace of mind.

With the power of AMD64 technology, your computer has security built right in. The combination of AMD64 technology with Windows XP SP2 can help your system to better withstand attacks from certain classes of viruses. This can help you experience safer e-mail and Internet browsing, as well as increased network and memory protection.

all that technology is software based and is configured for the x86-64 architecture. thats all.

But it says this when I just went to the amd site. Here it is:
All AMD64 processors, including the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX, AMD Athlon 64, and Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors, are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection. With Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you will be able to fully utilize the security technology*. By providing extra security at the platform level, AMD lets you easily embrace the future of computing. This technology can deliver added protection for the applications of today and tomorrow. As a result, you can enjoy real peace of mind.

With the power of AMD64 technology, your computer has security built right in. The combination of AMD64 technology with Windows XP SP2 can help your system to better withstand attacks from certain classes of viruses. This can help you experience safer e-mail and Internet browsing, as well as increased network and memory protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom