WinXP/SATA problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrealish

Solid State Member
I've posted elsewhere in Tech Forums but I think my problem is in windows.
I built a new machine and loaded WinXP Pro onto my 200Gig WD IDE drive. It works great. But, I installed two SATA drives to Raid and WinXP doesn't see them. The Raid controller card sees them and the BIOS sees the Raid Array. I want to use the IDE drive as a backup and reap the reward of better performance by using the Raid Array as my main drives. I thought I'd easily be able to Ghost or clone what I've loaded on the IDE drive to the SATA array.

Any ideas on how to solve my puzzle?

Pastor John

What does windows say about the controller? What kind of controller is it? What RAID have you get them setup as and how did you set them up if not through windows? (Assuming you've done that o/wise I apologise).

Perhaps I should better define whats going on.
System info:
Athlon 64 2800
ASUS K8VSE Deluxe w/on board Promise and Via SATA Raid controller
1Gig DDR
1 200Gig WD IDE HD
2 200Gig Wd SATA HDs
Audigy 2 ZS
Emulator X
WinXP Pro

Windows is loded on the IDE drive and everything works fine--Except--Windows doesn't see the SATA drives. The controller sees them (when I boot I have the option of pressing Ctrl F and the Promise FastBuild utility comes up and shows that I have 400099MB in Stripe Raid mode). Windows Computer Manager only shows the IDE drive and the CD drive. I'd like to clone the IDE drive to the SATA array and use the IDE as a backup.

Pastor John

Did you go to start control panel, admin tool, computer managment aqnd then click disc managment?

even if you can't find them anywhere else, if they are blank, you should find them there ready for formatting and raid setup. I don't know the details of the different raid setups, but I know major and other people on this forum can help you out there.

then you should your regular OS from your ide drive to them and use the that ide as backup

Thanks for everyones response. My problem is solved. It was a conflict with my Raid controller.

Thanks again.
Pastor John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom