Power off button

Status
Not open for further replies.
right....like the past 3 or 4 posts have stated. pressing the power button in for 10 seconds is ALL BIOS related and NOT the OS.....so if you are running a program in the background it doesn't get shutdown properly....even the OS doesn't get shutdown properly. Pressing the power button in once shuts down the computer in 2000 and XP. (NT 4.0 had a major problem with this) but, anyway.......you can somewhat properly shutdown your system by hitting the power button once OR.....the best way is just through the menu. you can also create an icon on your desktop that you double-click that will shutdown the system properly for you......hopefully though.....your questions have been answered.
oh, and by the way, you are NOT stupid. this is a truely VIABLE question and if I see one more comment about other people saying differntly and/or shouting out unnecessary material, i'll personally ban them for good. this is a totally legit question......and if you need ANY help after you read our suggestions, please post more and we'll get you the help you need without taking "shots" at you like some people feel that they need to do.

Holding the switch down (on most systems) is a power-kill switch. If you hold the switch down, it's not the OS turning the computer off, the OS has no clue what's going on. The power just gets killed and the system dies instantly.

If you hit the switch (momentary contact) you activate the OS's/BIOS's defined instructions. If you have it setup to go into standby on power press, it will do so. Most of this functionality is setup in the BIOS, and then later in the OS's power management.

its fine to shutdown via power button, as long as its not used to slam the system (holding in power or pulling the plug). The quick power push is intercepted and a normal shutdown is initiated (u can check bios to set to sleep mode or shutdown via power switch). Do NOT do this on older machines, only newer MBD's have this option. Check the bios.

I think there's an option in the BIOS where you can actually designate the power switch to do something other than just shut it off.

I actually didn't know XP was made so you could hit the power button and it still shuts down properly, I just have a key on the keyboard that shuts it down for me.

Sounds like it's the common case of each friend knows a way to do the same thing, but neither can prove that it's the same so war breaks out. Oh well, if you know him in real life then just show him :p

Yer right, Nubius. Depending on the mobo and BIOS, the power switch (and other switches) can be used to due a number of things.

mikesgroovin said:
right....like the past 3 or 4 posts have stated. pressing the power button in for 10 seconds is ALL BIOS related and NOT the OS.....

100% Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom