Compaq - Old Usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

TATERHEAD

Beta member
Have an old Compaq 133mhz computer that does not see it's USB ports. Any ideas on how to fix? Any help greatly appreciated.

flash the bios, if the mobo even supports usb.
make sure the usb ports are connected to the mobo,
get Windows XP or Linux - NT 4.0 doesn't support usb (oh yeah you didn't say what OS you had...)

a few more details please.

might have a problem if usb 2.0 is faster and smarter than your cpu and os... sounds like it's time for an upgrade.
not trying to put you down. fact of the matter is, that's a very old machine running an old OS. without finding the old drivers for that mobo and win 98, you may be out of luck.
sorry

PS. has usb ever worked on that machine with win 98?

Yeah

But only Win98 SE I think, I know I used a USB scanner on 98SE but im not sure if plain old 98 supports it.

nope. it didn't.
and lets not forget about plug and pray...
you might could get win. 2000 to work, but 2000 usb support isn't much better than 98 SE, and i don't think either of them support usb 2.0

I donated the computer several years ago to my elderly widowed mother-in-law so she could experience the joys of the internet. She's gotten so good at it she went out and bought a new printer which requires the usb. Didn't know about it beforehand or would had her find one with parallel, if possible. Never used the usb's on it.

you may need to either 1. find a print hub that takes usb and has parallel, or 2. return the printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom