HELP! Comp died while on Vacation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help everyone...tomorrow I'll go to a place I know and find a stick of RAM. Is it evident that the RAM is the cause of the problem?

Meaning, could there be something in the system causing RAM to go bad?

I really doubt if anything in your system could cause the ram to go bad the power supply keeps the power regulated so you don't get power spikes.So if its bad ram its just bad.I buy Kingston have for years I even buy the value ram and Ive never had a bad stick of ram.There are ram testers out there.

bengance said:
Is it evident that the RAM is the cause of the problem?

Meaning, could there be something in the system causing RAM to go bad?

If the voltage setting is too high that could cause problems but you should know unless you never check your bios when installing hardware.

Off the topic a little bit here...
Is there a significant difference in performance between pc2700 & pc3200 RAM? If so is it noticable?

I actually think it's the video card
if the RAM were faulty, chances are your PC won't even POST, and therefore you won't get any beeps.
the reason being, is that your system requires working RAM to load anything at all, even POSTing requires loading data to RAM

try reseating the video card, or if you have a spare lying around, try that and see if it works at all

check the RAM check very closly...yesterday I couldent boot mine and I cleaned my ram but nothing happened but I took it back out and found a small dust particle.

apokalipse,

Sorry if I wasn't clear...it doesn't POST at all. Sorry if I confused you.

wongb18c,
I'm not sure my mobo can even handle either you asked about. According to MSI's specs, it can take only PC1600 or PC2100 184 Pin DIMM DDR. Link to specs

Can anyone recommend a brand or type (looking for probably 512 MB)? I need this soon so I'll be shopping retail brick and mortar.

m1thotyn said:
Let me add from what i've heard already i'd predict there being a 3, maybe 5% chance of it not being the RAM, its got me thinking off topic abit.

In the last year and a half I've had the following sticks go bad (all but 1 replaced by warantee)

1xMushkin (my ram)
2xCorsair
1xKingston
1xBuffalo

Thats 2 dead sticks in 1 and a half years (1 corsair was DOA, the other died while i waited for the replacement to arrive... funny....) and 3 with errors.

wtf is wrong with RAM manufacturers?

That sound like a bad board. I had one mobo that kept killing hard drives

Well thanks everyone for the suggestions.... here's my status now:

• I've cleaned and groomed my mobo
  • I've reseated my old ram
  • I've tried without ram (I hope that was okay)
  • I've tried new RAM

Unfortunately, nothing changed. The only thing that happens is the fans go on and the power light and hard drive access light are constant.

I believe it might be my CPU is dead. I've had blue screens in the past and sometimes when playing Halo for PC my CPU temp would get around 60*C.

Also, I've noticed my CPU fan sounds weird and seems to vibrate a little much...I'm not sure if that alone could cause a CPU burnout.

The reason I don't think its the mobo is because the Fans all get power and the keyboard has the ability to numlock on/off.

Any more suggestions? I'd really like some divinutive proof before I replace the CPU. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom