Exessive PF Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bburritt

Beta member
I am running XP Pro on a 933Mhz PIII with 512MB Ram. My system seems to run fine most of the time (Processor use very low, PF Usage anywhere between 100 MB and 400MB if I am running a lot of stuff). However, when I run Outlook 2003, my PF Usage jumps to 1.6 GB and my computer slows to a crawl (Processor use remains pretty low after a short spike). This problem started a month or two ago. The program used to run fine. It started when I was using Outlook 2000. I didn't buy 2003 to fix the problem, but I was hoping that it would be a positive side effect. No such luck. I have archived my .pst file to a reasonable size, compacted it, defraged it and everything else on the computer, and it has had no effect. As a last resort, I figure completely uninstalling Outlook and installing it again might fix it, but I want to try to avoid that because it will mean reinstalling and resetting a couple other 3rd party applications that work with Outlook (Palm stuff, which I know is not the cause of this problem because the problem started well after that stuff was installed). Has anyone else experienced this with Outlook? Am I going to have to reinstall, or can someone save me?

I'd just reinstall windows, but I dislike windows and prefer keeping my install less that 2 months old.

Update

OK, I decided to go ahead an uninstall Outlook completely, then reinstall it. It didn't change anything! It still is eating up the paging file. It is only Outlook that does this. I can run IE, Picture It 9, Media Player and Excel all at the same time and the paging file is no larger than 500 MB and everthing runs relatively quick. Outlook on it's own now uses 1.5 GB and slows the computer to a crawl. Someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom