ATI X850 a flop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and you ended up paying hundreds of dollars when a 9600XT would easily give great performance for the buck.

Well said Nubios and Mega. Your point of too many cards from ATI is defintitely true. However, don't you think that AGP versus PCI-E played a role in this? I think the new 'X' cards are just PCI-E only. That being said, I must reconsider my earlier post of a better business decision from ATI. To keep up, even though they did not start with a new chipset they still needed to come out with 10+ cards to match Nvidia's lineup. That can't be cheap..can it?

In the end though, the consumers are the winners. The outstanding Radeon 9'x series pushed NVidia to the outstanding G6 series which will pave the way for the next generation of cards.

Like I said earlier though, can the CPU's keep pace... :)

millerhighlife_ said:
Funny thing is guys, the human eye can't tell the difference between 27fps or 1000000fps. After like 27+fps the eye is seeing "full motion" and anything other than that is overkill.

I can tell the difference from 60 fps downwards.

gimpycow said:
Not to mention that they did not have to design a card from scratch like NVidia did this generation.
ATI probbably could have developed a new card, but were short for time because Nvidia had already been developing their 6 series cards; ATI had to develop their current cards further, because if they had started making a new card they wouldn't have it ready in time. Nvidia didn't have to develop a new card, but ended up doing it anyway, and it proved to be a great success

I like the X series, but I wish it was more simpler. I was checking recent pricing tables and the Radeon X800 is going down to $199 retail and the Radeon X800XL is starting at $299 retail.

Nubius said:
Overall every single time it comes down to who you like best. Don't think I've ever come across someone who's followed the cards closely and chose nvidia sometimes and ATI's other.

Actually I don't favor either. I was nvidia first then went with a 9800pro and now a 6800GT. I wont the performance, not the name brand.
Hmmm. Science says the eye is fooled into seeing full motion in the upper 20fps. (Ex:27+) You can tell the difference between 60 and down ? I could agree but the point I was making is that arguing over nvidia getting 97+ on some game (doom3) and ati getting 89+ on it is just pointless.

millerhighlife_ said:
Nubius said:
I could agree but the point I was making is that arguing over nvidia getting 97+ on some game (doom3) and ati getting 89+ on it is just pointless.

But in Doom 3, Nvidia gets 80+ while ATI doesn't get higher than the mid 40s on the same settings. This is arguable.

You tell 'em ChipX...I think you people should check out how ATi is changing the placement. Looks we got a real winner with X.

$549 X850 XT PE
$499 X850 XT = 6800Ultra
$399 X850 Pro
$299 X800 XL = 6800GT
$199 X800 = 6600GT
$149 X700 Pro = 6600
$129 X600 XT = 6200
$99 X600 Pro = 6200

The X300 & X300 SE are being pulled off the market since the X600XT and X600 Pro just took over what the X300 and X300 SE sold for. I think, now, the best buy is the X700 Pro or the X800 depending on what you can afford. The X700 Pro will be my next card or, if I can dish out another $50, I'll get an X800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom