amd xp 3200+ running hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

triton6

Solid State Member
i have a brand new xp 3200+ processor. (Not overclocking it) i love it. i originally had a Cooler Master Aero 7 (alum.) as the CPU cooler. However when playing games I was getting over 50c temp ratings. from what ive been reading this is pretty high right? Well i traded the Cooler Master in for a Mad Dog multimedia Powerchill XP. http://www.maddogmultimedia.com/products/techietoyz/images/MD-TTC-VII-AMD-pkg.jpg
I also had a failed PSU to replace too. This is a better cooler right? I cleaned the processor with rubbing alcohol and placed the silicon (thermal compound) that came with it on the die before installing.
However now my CPU is overheating getting up over 70c, and shutting down Could i have damaged the CPU anyhow? Nothing looks cracked.
any advice would be helpful.
thanks,
ian

55C on full load is fine especially for that CPU, so if that's what you had before you should have just left it.

Sounds like you need to reseat the heatsink because it's really not making good contact or something along those lines if it's getting up towards 70C and past...thats just dangerous when it starts getting into the 60's C

Nubius is correct. Original temps were fine, try re-applying thermal compound and re-seating heatsink.

Ok i reseated the heat sink, and get a little better results. but still looking at 60. and when i stress test in prime95 it gets close to 70. looks like i have to either reseat again or go back to cooler master, or something else. any particular good socket A heatsinks that run under 50 bucks?
thanks again,
ian

thermalrights SLK series. I have the SLK900A but I know they have a new design with heatpipes and whatnot like the SLK947 or something along those lines. Solid copper, thing weighs a ton...you gotta put your own fan on though.

Could simply just go back to the coolermaster though. That'd be better than spending more money on a heatsink where you might get back to those same temps or maybe just a tad lower.

yeah, for some reason the aluminum coolermaster was better than this copper one that is more money and moves more air. oh well. there is one at the store that has heat pipes and is very quite. but who knows how that compares. At least this store is cool with me bringing stuff back.

well good news, i found a winner. i bought an upgraded cpu cooler. one with heat pipes and lots of thin copper. sounds like the one you were talking about nubius. so far just torture testing prime 95 and surfing the net the temps haven't rose above 49c. sweet.
thanks again,
ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom