most cost-effective upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesocks

In Runtime
I want to upgrade my 2002 Dell Dimension 8200 so that games like NFS Underground 2, Hitman Contracts, Deus Ex - Invisible War, etc. are nice and smooth; they're all fairly slow and choppy right now, even when I have all graphics on low resolution with minimum detail. Are they slow because of the advanced physics engines that the games use? Older games such as Hitman 2, Counter-Strike, XIII, The Sims, NFS Underground, and Grand Theft Auto III run beautifully with the graphics all maxed out.

Here are my specs:

2.0 GHz Pentium 4 (400 MHz FSB)
512 MB RDRAM
128 MB nVidea GeForce4 Ti 4600
19" viewable Trinitron CRT monitor
80 GB 7,200rpm hard drive (25% full)
4x DVD drive (I usually run games off this)
48x CD-RW drive
Windows XP Home

I appreciate any suggestions. Which upgrade(s) are the most cost effective? I'd like to spend no more than $300-$400. Thanks!

if you want your gameplay to run more smoothly you might want a better proccesor, such as upgrading to a 2.8 pentium 4,if you do not know to install this.Buy it, and ask your local computer store to install it

Good Luck! For best proccesor prices go to newegg.com

I'd buy a new Video Card (6600gt or 9800XT) That'd be about $250. Then another stick of 512 Ram for about less than $100.

That might be better than buying a new processor. But I dont know how 2.0 Ghz compares to an AMD processor so I dont know how fast or slow that is. 2.0 on AMD is pretty fast though.

First of all, sell that Ti 4600. You can get pretty good money for it since it is a rare piece. Then get yourself a GeForce 6600GT and spend the rest on a processor up grade, preferrably something with 533 FSB.

Thanks for all the input! I have lots more questions now though:

Really? My Ti 4600 is rare? Cool .. it was the best graphics card that Dell offered at the time.

The problem with a RAM upgrade is that RDRAM is expensive - for a 256 Mb stick it's already $133 (I am afraid to get it anywhere other than from Dell - I've heard that Dells are picky about RAM).

beedubaya said:
X800 Pro vs. 6600GT = Toss up
X700 Pro vs. 6600GT = 6600 GT wins big
Sounds like the 6600GT is a really great card. Which of those companies would be best to buy it from (i.e. Leadtek)?

Is there much difference between a video card with 128MB and 256MB of memory?

What's all this about AGP and PCI-E? What do I have, and are PCI-E-compatible cards backward-compatible?

Also, what is the fastest FSB that's compatible with my motherboard, and how much does the FSB matter?

Thanks for all your guys' help!

I have the 9600XT, its great, and only $160 on www.newegg.com.
I also just got a stick of Corsair XMS 512MB PC2700, its a great upgrade. And yes, also go to a P4 2.8 GHz, or 3.2 GHz CPU
Yan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom