AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just using the half life description as an example of comparison. Obviously processors aren't tested for half life, but the general idea is similar, you take an observation over a short amount of time and multiply the time respectively.

Say what..? AMD are alot better to OC. They are made for OC purpose. I dont see any Intel processor thats as easy to OC as the Xp's. Same with semprons.

Codeine said:
Say what..? AMD are alot better to OC. They are made for OC purpose. I dont see any Intel processor thats as easy to OC as the Xp's. Same with semprons.

Thats way off. overclocking k7 chips bring forth alot of heat and you're lucky to get 300-400 mhz stable. My friend OC'ed his 2.4GHz p4 northwood right out of the box to 3.4GHz, ran CPU burn-in for an hour max temp 54c with no errors, he cranked it to 3.7Ghz for show then dropped it to 2.8 to run at and has had it since early summer.

P4's are definitely the best overclockers but higher clock speeds don't necessarily equal better performance.

Somewhat but I have yet to meet or hear of anyone in person that has gotten one over 2.8GHz. Tomshardware pushed a P4 to 5.2GHz using liquid nitrogen for cooling, doesent mean it can really run that way or that you'll be able to do it. I'll judge the mobile athlons overclockability on wether I see it running stable for myself, the entire idea really is that they run at a lower voltage now that takes care of a heating problem, but I don't think it would be stable. If I see it, i'll beleive it.

m1thotyn said:
Thats way off. overclocking k7 chips bring forth alot of heat and you're lucky to get 300-400 mhz stable. My friend OC'ed his 2.4GHz p4 northwood right out of the box to 3.4GHz, ran CPU burn-in for an hour max temp 54c with no errors, he cranked it to 3.7Ghz for show then dropped it to 2.8 to run at and has had it since early summer.

that's average for a 2.4/2.6C chip...3.2-3.4GHz is doable on alot of Intel systems, even with not so hot hardware. But compare those to a 3.0GHz XP-M PC. like you said...

m1thotyn said:
P4's are definitely the best overclockers but higher clock speeds don't necessarily equal better performance.

My friend had that chip and he could push it over 3.4ghz with no problems. Thats because thats a great overclocking chip. Other models with different clock speeds and core technology's overclock differently. Amd's athlon xp is known to be great for overclockers as well. There is a mod where you can turn a Desktop XP chip into a Mobile chip with Athlon MP capabilities as well. That means the a whole bunch of extensions have been unlocked and overclocking is a delight. Depending on your motherboard, with a completely modded Barton 2500+, you can get full voltage control, multiplier access from 1.0x to 24x and bus changing of coarse. With water cooling you could push it past 3200+ speed.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom