HELP! Comp died while on Vacation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
I came back from Christmas vacation last night and tried to check my email....

Unfortunately my computer won't boot and I'm at a loss at what to do next. I've had the computer since Jan 2003. I've had some problems lately bluescreening infrequently...but nothing this serious before.

It doesn't pass the POST test (Beep), all that happens is the fans go on, the power light is on, and any drive lights are on, (no flashing). The monitor is connected but powers down (because no signal is sent).

• I've disconnected any pci cards
  • I've removed power from the optical drives
  • I've removed power from the hard drive

I believe that leaves either faulty Ram, bad CPU or bad motherboard. Please help if you know of any way I can find out what the problem is. Could the CMOS battery be involved?

Here's my specs:
MSI Motherboard (VIA Chipset)
AMD Athlon XP 1700
512 MB Ram
Lite-On DVD+-RW
Norcent CD-RW
Onboard sound & video

i had a similar problem a while back... I took the cpu out and reseated it and did the same with the ram, when I powered up again everything had returned to normal.. also check the power connection to your motherboard and make sure there isnt too much dust around (could be shorting something).

best of luck!

Thanks for the suggestions....I've tried all the easy suggestions ( blowing away dust, checking power cables). No effect.

Is this a way I can see if it would be ram or CPU before I have to buy a replacement part? Could I take the tempertaure of the CPU to see if it's firing up correctly (or feel the heatsink)?

if there are any wires hovering above any of the ram sticks try to move the wire to the sides... sounds weird but might work (as it did for me)

still nothing...but I've noticed that the num lock key does function (on/off). I'm wondering if the CPU is bad, as I haven't felt much heat on the heatsink...

The CPU is fine. Go to any electronic store that has a return policy and get a stick of compatible ram, swap it and if thats it then keep it if it was a good deal or take it back and order something better or cheaper online.

Let me add from what i've heard already i'd predict there being a 3, maybe 5% chance of it not being the RAM, its got me thinking off topic abit.

In the last year and a half I've had the following sticks go bad (all but 1 replaced by warantee)

1xMushkin (my ram)
2xCorsair
1xKingston
1xBuffalo

Thats 2 dead sticks in 1 and a half years (1 corsair was DOA, the other died while i waited for the replacement to arrive... funny....) and 3 with errors.

wtf is wrong with RAM manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom