A noob question about the NF7-s

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was sorta bummed out about the AQYHA stepping I received as well, but it overclocks like a champ just as well as any other. I won't be able to push it anymore until I get a new PSU because mine sucks. If you are comfortable with it, I suggest flashing your bios to the one Nubius and I currently have; the D26 Manta Rays XT... by tictac. I forgot that link maybe nubius can post it. Anyways the reason I suggest it is because I went from not really being able to overclock at all and now I am at 2ghz (Well actually whatever 205x11 equals..). So this bios may help you as well if you encounter any problems. Plus it didn't detect my CPU and now it does.

Abit NF7-Sv2 D26 CPC-OFF mantarays-xt is the exact name of the BIOS we have which can be found here:

http://www.pc-tweaker.ch/Downloads/Bios/Modded/Abit.php

Has quite a few BIOS's so it could be worth it to read up on the one that might offer you the best stability. The one we have is the most up to date and features a lot of the previous features of the modded BIOS he made so basically with thist latest one you're hoping for a nice collection of all the things you want in the BIOS such as ROMSIP tables for higher FSB's, Soft L12 mod for Tbreds and mobiles that attempts to unlock the processors that aren't 'super locked' but really the only way of getting one of these is to just get a mobile now-a-days

Also this particular BIOS has a much nicer layout and all the options you need to overclock are in the same menu.

Just make sure you're comfortable with flashing your BIOS because it won't be like a magical end all problems BIOS or anything like that. It adds a small amount of stability and functionality so don't feel you HAVE to flash it to that.

But if you've flashed before a million times and had no problems then you should be aright

It comes on that uGuru CD or whatever that has your motherboard drivers and stuff. Go to Utility and flash award will give you the file you put on a floppy.... how I do it is with 2 floppy's, 1 is just a regular windows 98 bootdisk, and the other has awdflash.exe and the bios(.bin) file on it. You boot to the bootdisk (set floppy to first boot device), and it will say something is wrong with your harddrive (if you're using NTFS because 98 doesn't really know wtf NTFS is) and to scan it or something, then just wait until it gives you the "A:\ "prompt then take out the bootdisk and pop in the one with awdflash and the new bios on it and type awdflash.exe at the command line (A:\ Prompt) and then it will ask you which file to program, type in the name of the bios file (in this case it is NF7D_26.bin). It shall do it's thing... I didn't bother saving the old bios because I can get it from Abit easily... That should GIT-R-DONE fer ya. Also try the Abiteq Utility under Abit Utilities on the same disk you found awdflash. It monitors your temps :).

If you try that BIOS and find it isn't quite working right, try the one in my sig. My RAM hated that BIOS and i'm not sure why, as lots of people had luck with it. With the one in my sig i'm pushing 233MHz 2.5-2-2-5 2.65v...that's PC3200 running PC3700 speeds at better timings and less voltage than most standard PC3700 lol.

There's a handful of modded BIOS's to try, one of them is bound to do you good. I think i've gone through 14 myself in the last few months...

bunnymanboy said:
Ill try someones, but I dont have any spare floppies at the moment.

you don't have to use a floppy...i just use FlashMenu. but i thnink a floppy's "safer" if you are worried.

No Flashmenu is the tool that comes on the ABit CD. Just don't use their 'update automatically' feature because it downloads the BIOS from the internet which can sometimes be rather iffy.

Just download the BIOS you want and use their 'Update from File' option using the ABit FlashMenu that's on the drivers disk. I've used that flash utility like 10+ times and everytime I used 'Update from file' and selected the BIOS myself I've never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom