ATI X850 a flop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is guys, the human eye can't tell the difference between 27fps or 1000000fps. After like 27+fps the eye is seeing "full motion" and anything other than that is overkill. Yes, the more the better b/c you can run at higher resolutions with higher AA and AF but when you are running everything maxed out and still getting 40+fps why spend $600 dollars on a card ? I don't know their prices but imagine that guess is pretty close. If you are a benchmarker and just strive for insane scores then yea, it's worth it. But until software can catch up there isn't a need for a X945.5XXX Plat. EE x2 1024mb DDR9 now is there ?

nVidia has lost the graphics race and everyone knows it. Look at ATi. I mean Radeon 9000 series whooped the FX. And now the X are whooping the 6000 series. So watch out, nVidia.

nVidia has lost the graphics race and everyone knows it.
Matter of opinion. Nvidia has totally kicked ATI with this latest series and most everyone around here agrees with that minus hardcore ATI advocates. ATI won against the FX series and now Nvidia has won with their 6 series and didn't need to put out 10 cards like ATI with a plethera of bad drivers upon the release. Nvidia built a solid card from the get go and are going to wait to release another good card....ATI sits there and pumps out a new card everyweek 'OH LOOK ITS BETTER THAN NVIDIA' when in reality it squeaks out like 1FPs more which if nvidia cared to waste the money and consumers time introducing a slightly better card they'd overpower ATI too.

Point is it goes back and forth dang near every big release.

One minute Nvidia is on top, one minute it's ATI...unfortunately there's those who will simply say NVIDIA ALL THE WAY or in your case ATI ALL THE WAY even when that's simply not true.

Technically the X850 would be a completely different card than their X800 series which was basically overthrown by the nvidia 6 series and for the most part was a bumpy release for ATI.

If you wanted real competition Nvidia would need to release a 6850, but that'd be pointless.

Xbox 2 is planning on using ATI for their graphics processors. This caused quite an upset among xbox users.

I will say this though, everyone is right here because this is all based on opinions. Just like how some believe that a Pentium M, even at 2.6 GHz can not stand up to an FX-55 (DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS!). However, if you go ATi, then I see no reason to get an X850XT PE or even an X800XT. If you go nVidia, then I see no reason to get a 6800Ultra or even a 6800GT. The best bang for the buck from both companies is the X800XL or the 6600GT.

The best bang for the buck from both companies is the X800XL or the 6600GT.
That we can agree on.

That's why I for the most part don't even bother typing out nvidia comments anymore. I like Nvidia and probably will for sometime. Don't particularly care for ATI, but this doesn't mean they make bad cards.

My thoughts are that basically the companies will switch off. ATI > Nvidia during the FX series, Nvidia > ATI during the 6 series and it'll probably be ATI > Nvidia on the next major series.

Like I said, stuff concerning the X850 is ridiculous IMO simply because Nvidia has created what like......4 different cards in the 6800 series and ATI has like 9 in their X800 and now X850 series...and the X850 doesn't really prove itself worthy of the extra price over cards lke the X800XL which perform damn near the same so really I don't consider the X850 anything to battle Nvidia against. You know they COULD make something like the 6850 but that'd be like the 5950 all over again...just pointless.

Marketing scheme for $$$$$ is all it is

I look at it this way....ATI won the last generation hands down....blow out...wasn't even close. The current generation is pretty much a tie although I would give the slight edge to NVidia...and that is slight. NVidia has a lead in Doom3 (OpenGL) benchmarks and ATI has the lead in FarCry and Half-Life 2 benchmarks (DirectX). In fact, there are only two reasons why I say NVidia has a slight lead at all:

1) SLI
2) Shaders 3.0 support

That being said, ATI has 2.0b shaders which will more than fit the bill for awhile and they are also working on SLI. Not to mention that they did not have to design a card from scratch like NVidia did this generation. ATI's profit margin per card must be more than NVidia's so from the business side of things, ATI won this generation's war as well.

The next-gen of video cards should prove to be very interesting. I have no clue why XBox fans would be unhappy with ATI taking over the graphics chip for XBox2 because they have proven themselves over the last 3 years to be top of the line player.

I believe the much more important question to ask is will the future CPU's be able to feed the GPU's enough data? GPU's continue to get exponetially more powerful where CPU's are slowing down big time. Right now, I am more concerned about the advancements from Intel and AMD then NVidia and ATI... :)

Nubius, I agree with you about the current generation cards. ATi didn't come out with any new cores. They used last generation cores and kept pushing them further and further. The worst part is that ATi really screwed up this generation despite releasing some very good cards. Now it all comes out from an ATi enthusiast. You got freakin' so many cards out there in the X series and it took ATi that many cards to par with nVidia and their 6000 series. I mean come on, picture looks like this right now.
X300 SE
X300
X600 Pro = 6200
X600 XT = 6200
X700 Pro = 6600
X700 XT What the **** happened to this card, I don't know!
X800
X800XL = 6600GT/6800
X800XT = 6800GT
X800XT PE = 6800 Ultra
X850
X850XT
X850XT PE
This does not look very pleasing for ATi. nVidia's 6 cards can par with ATi's 13 and that is pretty pathetic. The good bang for the buck they had was the X700XT and we don't even know what the **** happened to that card. Plans for it are probably groping around in the gutter. It seems clear to me that, as an ATi enthusiast, the only two cards worth looking at are the X600 Pro for value and the X800XL for Performance and Value. For nVidia, I say the 6200 isn't bad and with TurboCache it only gets better!

ATI's profit margin per card must be more than NVidia's so from the business side of things, ATI won this generation's war as well.
Nvidia has been working on this card since like 2002...they came up with a brand new design which if you read about the cards back in march 2004, it is the biggest leap in graphics rendering for quite some time. ATI struggled at the beginning of this market and is just now getting up to the point where you can get nice clean benchmarks. For the first few months drivers were severely an issue with ATI and therefore really hendered their cards abilities...but even still they aren't the greatest.

Clearly Nvidia has paved the way for some amazing graphics processing in the future and ATI so far is just following the lead. In the case of the 9 series vs FX then yeah hands down ATI has the clearer lead.

Above all, like I've said a million different times....everyones system is different.

And until you and I can get the latest hardware on both AMD and Intel platforms, then test multiple cards with various memory types etc...etc... then technically you never know which card is top.

Some benches go in favor of nvidia, some go in favor of ATI.

Agreed that all these cards deliver mind boggling performance and it's to the point where people are getting just plain anal over really simplistic crap that shouldn't be argued over.

Overall every single time it comes down to who you like best. Don't think I've ever come across someone who's followed the cards closely and chose nvidia sometimes and ATI's other.

For the most part either people are nvidia or ATI. Unless ATI comes out with a card that just dominates over Nvidias I'll probably stick with Nvidia. They have much better driver support for their cards IMO

Besides.....this thread isn't about nvidia vs ati.....it's ati vs ati on this particular occasion.

This was a given, same thing happened with the 9800 Pro and XT, the performance gains were no greater then 5-10%:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom