Router problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabin

Beta member
I own a DLink DI-604 Four port Router. I use it to connect to PC's to a Sprint DSL Modem. Here are specs.

DSL Modem is connected to WAN side of router, It assigns IP, DNS and such to the WAN side of the router. The Modem Also handles the PPPoE connection used to access the internet.

LAN side of router is connected to two WinXP Home SP1 machines. The IPs of the PCs are static.

The problem comes when I try to go through the router. See whenever I try to browse to a highbandwidth site or page, or download a file, or prettymuch any other "heavy load" activity the router stops responding and reboots. Making it impossible to display many websites, download files, or use the internet in any other usefull way.

My question is thus: What could be causing the router to stop responding and reboot?

I suspect it might be a corrupt firmware file I rescently used to update the routers firmware. The .bin file used for this was downloaded to a machine that at the time was connected to the router with a frayed cable. I didnt find the damage until after the problem started.

Im not a network person and if this is something simple please forgive my ignorance.

If the problem started immediatly after updating the firmware, that very well could be the issue. I would check with the manufacturer to see if you can re-flash the update, or even back down to an earlier release.

Talked to them... they said I could but it takes a working functional firmware to run an update does it not?

If it the problem should go away yes. But im looking for as many possible causes as I can find. Just incase the reflash doesnt work when I get home.

Talked to them... they said I could but it takes a working functional firmware to run an update does it not?

Not neccesarily, it may be somthing that you can launch from your computer and direct to you gateway, which would be you router. And for the intent of re-flashing, you current firmware *is* functioning, its just not ALWAYS working.. ;)

true.

So let me get this straight... if firmware is flashed and the program that does that is built into the router then im in the clear... but if the current firmware does the job of flashing the chip that holds the firmware im in trouble?

Hopefully reflashing it will work...then I might get some sleep tonight. <(<'') (''>)>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom