AMD 64 2800+ Or P4 3.0 GHZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should go with the Pentium, because as far as im concerned, the 64 bit technology is useless you plan on buying 64-bit windows. Also Socket 754 doesnt support dual channel memory, which in my opinion, greatly increases your computer performance. As for the video card, id get just a regular (not pro or XT) Radeon 9600 128mb if you dont have alot of money to spend. You can pick em up on Newegg for like $60. I bought one off my buddy for $40 last week and im runnin Half-life 2 at 40 fps. I know thats not Wonderful, but for the price its pretty good, game runs smoothly and everything looks great.

Codeine said:
Yes, but member the 2800 runs at 1.6ghz 1600fsb. Im pretty positive this 2800 runs pretty cool. If you get a nice heatsink/cpu fan-60CFM. You would be able to OC it pretty easy. But for gaming, its better then the Intel.

You know the Athlon 3000 isent very much more.

2800+ runs at 1.8ghz...just an fyi
and ya, they do run pretty cool...mine runs around 40 degrees C
i love it for gamin'...runs absolutely amazing with a 9800pro..doom 3 *drools*...hl2...*droolz even more and louder*

I think regardless of the CPU, his system bottlenecks b4 that should even be considered.

256MB of RAM on the Pentium kills that choice right there, that's isn't even minimum requirements as far as my prefrences go. You want at LEAST 512MB of RAM, preferabbly in DC-Mode. Th MX-4000 64MB card is also going to kill your computer experience unless all you want to do is play starcraft or something.

You have an incredibly fast CPU/MOBO bolted down to a weak gfx card and barely enough RAM...i would save your money and go with something liek a 2.6C processor that is cheaper but can get you to 3.2-3.4GHz easily. Then you have extra money to get 512MB of RAM and a better vid card.

You have 2 power supplies listed, unless that was just a typo.

Your HDD is only 2MB-Buffer rate...consider a 8MB-Buffer RAte drive (same 80GB 7200RPM drive, just ATA133 8MB). That shouldn't be much more expensive if at all.

hmm dependin on what u want it for, games, work, whatever... At the moment I'd say go with the pentium because if its not just for games then pent would beat it easy. the cpu's are bout equal but the pent will be faster... totally up to why ur gettin the computer..

Primarily Games - AMD
Anything else - Pent

I dont know, im wondering the samething. I have seen more then one review witch show it running at 1.6ghz. Maybe for different cores.

VIII, Pentium does not beat AMD in other benchmarks that hard. Pentium exceeds in Decoding and 3D Rendering. Those are the Pentium strongholds. Anything besides Gaming and those i mentioned, arent favored for either processor. For all the other benchmarks, it all really depends.

Codeine said:
I dont know, im wondering the samething. I have seen more then one review witch show it running at 1.6ghz. Maybe for different cores.

ya, i think that i do remeber knowin' that the 2800+ runs at 1.6ghz normally. i probably jumped the gun a bit to fast when i made my first post about it, pretty sure it was that time of the night where the booze and sleepiness kicked in.
i do know that it is VERY hard for me to find information on the clawhammers clocked at 1.8. most of the time it's 1.6 that comes up or it's a newcastle.....oh well....it still runs anything out there with ease so i'm not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom