No signal 9800pro help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonefree

Beta member
Hi

I'm new to the board and could really do with some help please. A couple of nights ago my monitor shut itself down while I wasn't at my pc. When I turned it back on all I got was a black screen and the following message "Self Diasgnostics - Check Signal Cable - No signal". I tried a cold boot but the problem was still there, black screen same message. I noticed at this point that the HDD light was staying on. Apart from that everything else seemed to be operating as usual, cd and dvd drives were ok, cpu fan and all other internal fans were spinning.

I removed my 9800pro to inspect it, everything seemed fine, no signs of anything burned out, no scorch marks or funny smells. So I put the card back in, no luck. While the card was in the AGP slot and the computer was on, I checked the fan on the vga silencer I fitted a couple of months ago and it was working fine, plus the memory modules were still getting warm? Beats me.

I also cleared CMOS but still no luck. I ended up replacing the 9800pro with my old geforce ti and the PC booted up fine. eep!

The only changes made prior to the problem appearing were - I installed new drivers for the 9800pro about an hour earlier, and a couple of hours before that I replaced a pair of old cathodes with a pair of new Vantec cathodes, the new cathodes didn't come with an inverter box so I had to plug them into my old one. Plus two rounded IDE cables were fitted, one of them has electro luminescent wire wrapped around it which is powered by a small power pack with a passthru molex. I can't say whether or not I had connected any of these to the 9800pro's Y adapter molex, because I disconnected everything without noting what was connected to what... stupid yes.

As you can see, I'm completely lost. Apart from what I know, which is just guesswork and pretty useless really, I have no idea what caused this problem and I can see no way of putting it right. I hope I'm mistaken but I think my 9800pro is up the creek?

Thanks for any help.

btw, my mobo is a shuttle ab45 v2.1 and my PSU is a generic 500w
let me know if there's anything I've missed

Did you attempt using a nother graphics card to test if something is wrong with the AGP controller? perhaps the card is faulty, is it under warrenty? I have recently installed an 9800PRO, and i had problems with black screens seeing "two white dots" at the top left, i found it was because of onboard intergraded graphics, and i had to disable them.

No, there's nothing wrong with the AGP controller. I removed the Radeon altogether and installed my old Geforce TI 4600 in it's place. That's what got the computer up and running again.

As for the warranty, I don't know where I stand on that one. I bought the Radeon brand new from a dealer on ebay, not from a shop or online retailer. So whether or not I can RMA it with ATI? I haven't got a clue, but I hope so.

Same problem

Hey dude i had the same problem with my 9800 pro but my card actually burned a bit, anyways i replaced it. it has a 3 year warranty i believe. they also lost my card while it was at one of there where hose. So it rook me forever to get it. and the shipping was like $40.00 because i wanted to get my new card ASAP, but like i said they lost it. once i got the new card everything was fine. until the end of the mouth when i got my phone bill an extra $40.00. i couldn't believe it now i buy phone cards but this is my first bad radeon experience. but just some advice stay up on the card as in call them every so often to see where it is, and yeah buy a phone card, trust me. Oh and it was worth it, awesome card.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Display Adapters

Right click your video card, properties, driver tab, click roll back drivers, and that should hopefully fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom