1.6ghz duron detected as 1.2ghz "unkown cpu"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

quartz01

In Runtime
i am making my first rig for my mom and all she uses it for is typing and browsing the internet so i made her a

1.6ghz AMD Duron
PCChips M811LU ( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-185-010&depa=0 )
16mb tnt2 pro :p (you must envy me ;) )
256mb pc2100 Kingston ValueRam
20gb maxtor 7,200 RPM hard drive
floppy drive
and a cd drive from 1995 (must be like 4X or 8x, lol)

anyways all went smooth and i installed windows but it reads the 1.6ghz duron as a 1.2ghz "unknown cpu"... i am guessing this is because my FBS is at 200 right now and it should be at 266. am i correct on that part??

also, how do i go about fixing the problem? do i do something with the jumpers or go into the BIOS or something else???

You need to go into the bios and change the base clock to 133/266. It should base clock, FSB, frontside bus, or something similar. I don't know about the jumpers, but you might need to change the jumpers.

... isn't supposed to be 133 though??? and i think there is a jumper setting for 133.. better go read that manual again (sorry if i sound n00bish.. its my first build)

Yeah you need to check your manual. I'm almost positive that currently you have a jumper that defaults the CPU to 100 and because of that will only let you go to 132 for that reason. There should either be a jumper setting for 'auto' or 'user define' or something of that nature that will allow you to change your FSB to the appropriate 133

that is really wierd but would it really matter does it work fine if all she is doing is typing and word processing you dont really need to fix it maybe in the future i dont know. Just a thought

^^^ true, but i mean, i paid extra to get a 1.6ghz so why not have it run that fast. i am going to go to her house tomorrow and fix it since it shouldn't take more then 15 min

I have just put together a Abit KV7 mobo and a Sempron 2500+, and had the same problem. The Mobo company told me to update latest BIOS, shut down computer, unplug power, reset CMOS, boot up enter BIOS, select load optimized settings, save & exit and that fixed my problem, BIOS said Sempron 2500+ instead of Athlon XP. it also said if it dont default set it to specs go to user define and set to specs said by Manufacturer and then reboot and check it. hope this helps:bald:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom