video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
32 MB TNT-2 R3 Video Card [Part #6001579]. this is the card that came with a pentium3, 128mb pc 5 years ago. i need to replace.
any suggestions? maybe even upgrade
tIntel (Fedora) motherboard Pentium III - 733-MHz [Part #2511419he card.

Are you still using the same PIII machine from 5 years ago?

If so, it only makes sense to upgrade so far because your system would be a huge bottleneck for any fairly new cards.

If your system has the proper agp slot, you might want to upgrade to an ATI Radeon 9600Pro or XT. I would not go beyond that.

i was told at the time that pentium3 was built graphic cards drew 3.3 volts from the board and the newer ones only 1.5. will that be a problem?

What you need to do is find out what type of motherboard you have and then find out if you have an agp slot or not. That is the key. If you have the motherboard manual, it should tell you in there. Once you find out if you have agp or not, then you need to find out if you have a x1, x2, or x4 agp. Once you know that, you can look up the specs of the card to see what type of agp slot it is compatible with.

It may sound a bit daunting but it really isn't.

Another way to tell is just take your case cover off and look at the slot your video card is in. If the slot is smaller than the other slots on your board, it is agp. If it is the same size, then it is pci.

I pretty positive you dont have a Agp slot. If you do, it wont accept anything worth using. But before i suggest anything, im curious about what type of things you like to use your computer for?

But all and all, i think you need a better system. Thats a very old system, and it will have problems running even the most simple games, along with modern applications.

If you dont know how to make your own system, then i can suggest a nice place to get them from. Here is a nice site that has variant computers. Dont forget that you can customize them! So take advantage of that.

Here is the site
www.ibuypower.com

Here are my recommendations.

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=90

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=99

uuuuuummmmmm i suggest just getting a new computer like last posted that computer is old and you can get pretty good deals even if the computer isnt that great it can run some pretty good damn like my computer is alright and everyone told i couldnt run HALF LIFE 2 but it can and it runs great so i suggest getting some computer that is already assembled if you have no assembling experience. There are some cheap emachines but do not get celeron processors they suck

ya know, maybe hes not a gamer and just needs a replacement card. get a tnt2 pro (so its also a upgrade :)) off ebay for like $10 (and that includes s&H). that should work even if you have an AGP 2x or 4x slot

the ge-force 5200 is nice, thats what im using at the moment, but like the rest are saying i doubt your board will be able to support the newer cards, and if it can run them it will run them slow, due to the agp transfer rates.

i have a Gateway PIII 750 sys that i use for AllData and its fine for that .This was my ginipig rig that i learned to build computers
on.The processor size 733 itself gives me an idea of the AGP capabilities. A 2x4x card will work fine in your system .In fact ive installed a Ti 4600 ultra/ATI 9700 Pro/FX5950/ATI 9800 Pro in it just to test the performance gain with the CPU and Chipset configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom