Help! I can't access my own folders and files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzbo

Solid State Member
My computer won't recognize me as the administrator called "owner" thus keeping me from the folders under the "owner" profile. Here's the short version.
(1) System registry corrupted and computer wouldn't boot. Took it to tech. He found a few bad sectors on HD and replaced it, AND transferred/saved two family users profile accounts & their files to a secondary slave HD on my machine. However, apparently he didn't get MINE because my user account was "password protected" and XP will not allow you to access, delete, copy, or even move protected folders. (I always kept my administrator user profile with a password.)

(2) I put the old "bad" HD (with the corrupted registry) into an older computer of mine (as the master HD). I couldn't get it to boot, so I called the tech who worked on the machine and he suggested that I reinstall Windows OVER the original corrupted XP in the same partition. (This prevented me from having to delete all files.) Note: The recovery console option wouldn't work, so I had to reinstall XP and it worked great. My original folder called "owner" is still sitting under Documents and Settings/users. So, the old HD is up and running, BUT I still cannot gain access to MY files. Before all of this mess, my original user account was called "owner" and that is how the folder appears under Documents and Settings/Users/Owner. During this reinstall XP setup, XP prompts me with the normal stuff....what I want to call the computer and what I want to call my administrator account, but tells me I can't call myself "owner" ....maybe because there was already a user folder called owner(?) So I named it Jim. I am the only administrator on the entire machine, so I should have access to everything, right. Once logged on as Jim, if I attempt to open the "owner" folder thru Win Explorer, I get the "access is denied - Make sure the folder is not in use or protected" popup. Crap!

(3) So I do what XP originally told me not to do and set up a new user/administrator account called "owner" using the same password as was originally required to access my folder, hoping that XP would automatically link to my old user folder "owner" with my new administrator ID called "owner". It wouldn't. When looking under users thru Win Explorer, ...my user name is showing up as "owner.jim". XP automatically added an extension called jim on the end of owner,... I guess because there was already an "owner" folder in place and it didn't want to duplicate. So, I still can't access that folder and all of the subfolders in it.

Anyhow, how can I get access to that "owner" folder. I KNOW THE PASSWORD and everything, I just can't get the machine to recognize that it is ME wanting access. FYI: The only way I know to open folders is thru Win Explorer or logging on as a user and gaining access to that particular users files. Unfortunately, I can't log on as "owner" as it will not allow me to establish a user profile called simply "owner".

Sorry so long winded, but that's the shortest way I could explain what happened and the steps already taken.

One last thing. I never ever encrypted any files or folders on my machine, so it can't be an encryption problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

First I wil address how to get your files back from the damaged HD without having to resolve the Profile issue on the working HD.

Take the damaged HD and place it into the PC with the working HD as a slave drive.

Next boot back up and make sure both drives detect.

Go to My Computer and open up the slave drive (more than likely drive E: F: G: etc)

Now you have full access to the drive. Go to Documents and Settings and select the folder with your old profile name.

Now create a folder on your desktop (or wherever you choose) and drag and drop all files from the old HD that you want back.

Thats one way you can do it.

Another way to do it without adding the slave drive would be to logg into another Administrator account on the PC and go into Control Panel and User Accounts and select the old profile "owner" I beleive you said and delete it. Before it delete's your profile it will ask you if you want to save the files in this profile. Hit yes and go to the next screen which will tell you that the files will be stored in a folder on your desktop click next and there you go. Note: This step will not work if all your accounts are Limited Accounts. But I am assuming you have have another Admin account.

Once that profile is deleted Re-Add it and move your data back to the correct paths. Example: E: Documents and Settings\Owner\ (whatever you choose to name the new Profile.)

Post back I will beon for a while.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think they will work,though, unless I'm misunderstanding you. If I take the damaged HD and reinstall it into my main computer as the boot drive, I don't see the relevance of having the slave drive and opening it for full access. MY original "owner" folder and files are not on that slave drive. (Remember, they would not copy or transfer to the slave drive when the tech moved everything over, because (I've been told) he wasn't signed in as user administrator "owner" when he copied everything over. "Owner" was the only administrator who could move "owners" files.) The files exist only on one place....the damaged HD that has had XP reinstalled.

#2 won't work because I've already tried it. The problem with this method is that when I delete the adminitrator profile called "owner" and XP asks if I want to save those folders......it's not saving the "owner" folder I'm needing access to. (Remember, after I reinstalled XP and created a new profile called "owner"..... the USER FOLDER it created had an extension added on to it. It automatically named the folder "owner.jim." (I think the jim extension came because the machine was named jim. Just a guess.) But in other words, when I created a new administrator called "owner," XP didn't automatically connect this new admin account to the old "owner" folder already existing there. New admin account means a new user folder, period. XP knew that old "owner" folder was there, but was not going to attach a new new administrator account to an existing administrators folder....even though the existing administrator's profile had been deleted with the XP reinstall. Reinstalling XP wiped out every administrator account that had been there before, but had been unaccessable because of the boot problem.)

I need to be able to create an administrator account called "owner" that won't create a new user folder,...but will see and recognize the "owner" folder that already exists. Or find a way to open that "owner" folder another way where it thnks it is "owner" opening it.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

Again You have 2 drives:
Working New Hard Drive (HD1)let's call it.
Old Corrupted Drive (HD2) we'll call this one.

Take HD1 and put it as your master drive the one windows is going to boot into.

Take HD2 and put in your PC as the slave drive.

Boot Up.

Logg into any profile.

Go to My Computer and open up the slave drive (more than likely drive E: F: G: etc)

See once a drive is put as slave you can transfer any file to or from it you want. You have no user account restriction no passwords no protecte files because you are not using the operating systems restrictions on that drive because you are using a different drive to access it.

Your will be under (drive Letter)/Documents and Settings/owner

So again just drag and drop or copy and paste whatever you want to and from the drive.

Now for the profiles. When you are in a profile go to Control Panel then User accounts. Create a new account make it an admin account. But from what you said Iam guessing you only have 2 LImited user accounts and are unable to create a Admin account.

So here is what you do. WHile you in user accounts click change he way users logg on or off. And uncheck both boxes.

Now reboot and it will come to a logg on box. In the username field type Administartor. You see every XP machine comes with an Administrator account named Administrator. Your owner account wa also an admin account you set up when you first turned on your computer for the first time and set up windows. But I gaurentee that there is an Account called "Administrator".

OK back to logging on. Type Administrator and try a blank password first. If that doesnt work try whatever password you may have set up on it.

Once logged in go back to control panel and user accounts and tr the steps again I described on deleting and re-creating the account.

Also as far as your tech xfering data from the corrupt drive and him being unable to xfer it because of bla bla bla. You can. You can xfer any file from any machine to another. Unless encryption type programs have scrambled the data then you will encounter isses.

If I had been yor tech I would have copied all program and file data to a seperate drive. Then put in the new drive and loaed your os from scratch. Next I would have installed all your programs and placed the data back into the correct data paths. Using windows file and settings xfer wizard which it appears he did from corrupted drive with bad sectors that cant be repaired would make no sense. Since certain parts of the drive cannot be transfered how could he gaurentee it would work right when only partial data can be accessed.

Post back if you have issues

I am now editing my post. After re-reading your first post. Do you have your old damaged drive? It sounds like you do from all you have said. One good and one damaged but still sort of working drive. Please confirm.

Steve M said:
I am now editing my post. After re-reading your first post. Do you have your old damaged drive? It sounds like you do from all you have said. One good and one damaged but still sort of working drive. Please confirm.

Yes, I still have the damaged drive. It works fine since I reinstalled XP on it with the exception of being able to open that folder I need. That damaged drive is the only drive I have where the folder and files I am wanting exists. When my P4 machine came back from the tech and I realized that he hadn't copied my admin folder to the 120Gig slave drive I have, I disconnected the 120 Gig slave and hooked up the old damaged drive as a slave and simply tried to open the folder. That didn't work, so that's when I took the damaged drive out of the P4 machine, reset the jumper to master, and stuck it in an older P2 400mhz machine I had. Then reinstalled XP....and you know the rest of the story.

I'll disconnect the slave drive from my P4 machine; take out the damaged drive from the old machine; reset the jumper to slave; and install it back into my P4 machine as a slave. Then I'll follow your instructions. Sorry I misunderstood. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

I do think your not understanding him. Basicly hes telling you how to get those (Owner) files out of the old HD into your other HD. So first i would do that.

Another thing, when your trying to access your (Owner) File. I suggest Completely Restarting your computer. Witch everything will get deleted, so save anything you want through e mail/external HD.

Then create only one windows account. So of course your the Administrator. Then do what Steve said. Transfer your (Owner) File from that other HD into your new HD. Then disconnect that HD. Im not completely sure this will work. But it wont give you that problem with creating a Owner account, because it wont try to duplicate anything, since you Restarted it. So everything was forgotten from the computer.

If this dont work, then this file is obviously protected from any user. Then it should ask for a Password. If it does not open, nor ask for a Password to open. Then somthing is seriously wrong.

Codeine said:
I do think your not understanding him. Basicly hes telling you how to get those (Owner) files out of the old HD into your other HD. So first i would do that.

Another thing, when your trying to access your (Owner) File. I suggest Completely Restarting your computer. Witch everything will get deleted, so save anything you want through e mail/external HD.

Then create only one windows account. So of course your the Administrator. Then do what Steve said. Transfer your (Owner) File from that other HD into your new HD. Then disconnect that HD. Im not completely sure this will work. But it wont give you that problem with creating a Owner account, because it wont try to duplicate anything, since you Restarted it. So everything was forgotten from the computer.
Sorry, I've been out of town. Codeine, it sounds like you're basically telling me to reinstall Windows XP. Reinstall and create a single brand new administrator account. Is that what you mean when you say "completely restart your computer."

Man, what a pain! You know, I've currently got one Windows account right now like you said, (which is me the administrator). But you cannot simply delete the only administrator on a machine. XP won't let you. If I want to delete my administrator account, I have to create another administrator account to facilitate it (or turn a limited account into an administrator account). Besides reformatting the HD, I'm not sure I know how to screw with the machine to wipe out everthing and reinstall XP (& I'm not sure I want to do that and have to reinstall all my programs again.)

I DO have a small spare 6 Gig HD that I can reformat and use as my master in my old P2 machine. I can install XP on it, create the administrator account and have my "bad" HD (with the files) as a slave. If that is what it takes, I'd rather do that than screw with my P4 since I just got it. Please let me know if I'm reading you correctly.

Ok jazzbo,
I am going to run this down one more time step by step. If you follow this exactly you will fix your problem. If you don't then I can no longer help you.

1. Take your old hard drive and place it in your p4 machine as the slave drive. The other drive the master drive should be the new one your tech gave you.

2. Boot Up and make sure they both detect.

3. Next go to Control Panel then User Profiles and then click Change the way user's logg on and off. Now uncheck all the boxes.

4. Reboot.

5. Change the loggin name to "Administrator" no quotation marks.
hit enter. If it loggs in great. If not enter the admin password you usto use for yourprofile "owner"

6. Once in go to Control Panel then User Accounts. Create a new account and call it TestAdmin and make it an Administrator account. Now erase all accounts except guest and TestAdmin.
Save the files to desktop when prompted if you choose.

7. Now create an account with a login name you want make it an admin account. Now erase the TestAdmin Account. Create however many accounts you want for your kids, wife etc.

8. Boot back up and logg into your newly created admin account.

9. Go to My Computer and open up the drive letter that points to the slave drive.

10. Once open naigate to Documents and Settings and Owner. Open the folder and click on My Documents. There highlight and right click copy.

11. Now right click on your desktop (or wherever you want to save your files) Click paste. You can go back to the Folder mentioned in step 10 if there are other things from that profile you wish to xfer.

You have just finished. Your files are back and your wife and kids now have new profiles. No formatting. No reloading. No Re-Installing programs. Easy.

This is my last post on this subject. Good Luck.

Steve M said:
Ok jazzbo,
I am going to run this down one more time step by step. If you follow this exactly you will fix your problem. If you don't then I can no longer help you.

This is my last post on this subject. Good Luck.

Steve, great instructions this time! I did exactly like you said, step by step. However, I want my money back! :p It didn't work! I still get the same old "Access is Denied" popup window. Clicking right on the folder and trying to save onto the desktop yields "Cannot create or replace owner: Access is Denied. Make sure disk is not full or write protected and file is currently not in use."

If I simply try to open the folder, I get "E:\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessible." "Access is Denied." and the hourglass runs until I click OK.

I will say that there was one slight nuance in following your instructions. In step 5, you say to change the name to "Administrator" and hit enter. It didn't work, as it said "couldn't log in because of account restrictions." You said it might not work so, per your next instruction, I attempted to "enter the admin password you use for your profile "owner". It didn't work either and said that the user name or password was invalid. It was not going to allow me to log in as Administrator either with or without a password. So I had to change the login name from "administrator" back to "owner" and use my password. (That might have been what you actually meant, but I wanted to follow your instructions exactly.)

I sincerely appreciate your attempt to fix my problem, though. You've been more than gracious with your time.

Anyone else want to step up and take a shot?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom