Microphone not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

betatronic

Solid State Member
Hey. Okay so I'm a 17 year old kid and does alot of online comic and the like. I've been using a compaq Presario for about 4 years, and I discovered it came equiped with a Microphone on it's monitor. I've been using it for a while now.

So down to the issue. Recently I had to take my compaq into a computer store to have a CD drive replaced. I brought it back and hooked everything back up...or so I had thought. Two cables, the sound input and the sound output cables, got crossed. The output, to my speakers, got plugged into the Microphone jack and vica versa. I only discovered it ealier when it seemed as if my s[peakers weren't working. I checked out the back to see how they were plugged and found them crossed (sue me! They both have black extension cords!)

Now my speakers are working fine, but the microphone is non responsive. I tried recording a few things, but the MP just doesn't seem to pick it up.

What's my issue? Did it malfunction, or is it something worse? Like a short circuit or burnt out something?

Maybe the guy working on my PC got something unplugged?

It wont short it out.Did you go into your sound properities and make your mic is muted.Click on the speaker on your taskbar click options click properities click on recording and make sure the microphone boxis checked. What operating system do you have and what sound card. Is it on the main board or is it a add in card.You can go into start,control panel,system,hardware,device manager and see if the sound and video game controllers are ok.If you have a yellow ! mark or a red
mark next to anyone of them its your sound drivers.

I use windows XP pro. I'm not sure what sound card it is, but I know it came set with the PC. I"ve never taken it apart to see for myself.

woondderrful......Is there A way I can check?

I checked them out under device managed. All I saw were speaker icons. No marks.

Sorry for douple posting. I'm not sure if it's allowed...but....anyone else have an idea?

Do you have the drivers disk with the sound drivers on it.If you do try to reinstall your sound drivers.

It might with the Win XP disk in the CD drive. Go into your device manager and right click on the sound click the + sign next to sound,video and game controllers.Right click on the Audio Codecs and click update driver.Then follow instructions.If this doesn't you might have to open your computer and take the sound card out and write the name and serial number off it and go to driversguide .com and find the drivers to download.The login name is DRIVERS password is ALL for the web site.If you work inside of your computer ground yourself out by putting your hand on some metal first as to not ruin any parts with static electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom