windows xp product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgzred

Beta member
Help, My sons friend bought a new mother board for his computer and now his windows xp software will not work. it displays the page to enter the product key and he does not have it. I cannot get off this screen until it sees the correct product key. He also does not have the xp disk. Is there a way to get this computer working?

Thanks

Ray Z

sounds like you're in a bit of a bind.
1st off if it's a leagal copy, why doesn't he have the disk and or key...
2nd i don't think this happens just b/c you changed the mobo. maybe if XP noticed a change in the cpu serial number... but even then i doubt it, since i've moved hard drives from computer to computer and they always boot normally...
so i ask you this, how did it get to that screen truthfully, a downloaded copy of xp maybe?
a few more details please, i won't help you pirate a copy of xp... sorry. convince me it's legit.

This is from a gateway computer that had the motherboard replaced. The case was too small for the new motherboard so that was alos replaced. The serial number was on the back of the original case and he didn't save it. I have software that will identify the prduct key but i can't read any of the floppy or cd drives to make this work. All we get is the windows logon screen and then it goes straight to the product key page. I assure you this is legit. It worked for a time but evidently the software expired as it ws not reregistered.

We do have the gateway windows xp disk but we can't get to a screen to allow us to use the cd drive

ahh, it's been locked...
is there any way to get the key?
also do you have the system restore disk from Gateway...

i don't have some of the things i'm looking for with me... let me do some research for ya... i'll post back in a little bit.

I have the Gateway Operating System Windows XP Home edition disk. I also downloaded a program that will display the product key for the computer but I am unable to get to a screen to run the cd drive.

have you tried booting the computer from a floppy, try a win98 boot disk and boot with cd rom support... that may get you far enough to get it...
www.bootdisk.com will have what you need if you dont have one
also you may find some information here... use only for legit copys please.
http://www.winxpfix.com/page15.htm
let me know if you need more, i'm still looking for one page... it's funny how you can't find exactly what you're looking for when you need it.

edit** also check your boot settings in bios, and make sure you can boot from cd before you boot from hard drive, you may need to reinstall at this point.

also, if you boot from win98 boot disk, it has a text editor... very old but will still read, load drivers for cd rom (select option to boot with cd support) then change directory to your cd rom with xp cd in. type "dir" and look for a file called serial, serials or something like that on the cd, from dos on the win98 boot disk you can read this file and obtain the cd key from the disk itself.

i am going to double post just to make sure i make myself clear, i am not trying to provide information on how to bypass MS product keys, securtity, and anti piracy. that is wrong. any information i give is for the sole purpose of fixing legit. problems you have with a LEAGAL copy of MS software! if you use any information i give for ileagal purposes, your day will come.

i will not tell you how to hack, crack or otherwise steal software. just b/c my sig shows my opinions on the invasions of privacy does not mean i believe in piracy! so don't ask! i will not pm you or email you information for illegit. purposes.

my rant is over.
happy new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom