New system, can't decide on a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your opinion :).
Now, I have another question. What about memory? Is it worth buying Corsair XMS memory? I've read somewhere that its only worth investing in if it will be overclocked. Is that true or are there any advantages to it over "normal" memory (except the heat spreaders etc.)?

Yes, they generally have better latencies. But "normal" memory will do fine for just about anything, you won't notice a BIG difference. Please post a new thread about this if you want. I don't know much about memory.

i allways liked intel but AMD kick ass with the 64, so go AMD all Intel seem to do is boost the FSB

First of all, TheMajor, the 64-Bit extensions is no reason to go Athlon 64 right now. Basically, if you are into heavy gaming then get an AMD Athlon 64 and I sugges the 3200+ Winchester 90nm 939 since that is a monster overclocker. If you are using power apps and doing intensive rendering and stuff like that, then get an Intel Pentium 4, I would suggest any P4 as long as the model # has the J suffix which shows E0 stepping and better ocing and cooling. As far as SLI is concerned, SLI right now is available only to A64 consumers. There is a dual gpu graphics card coming out that uses the SLI interface and will use only one 16x pcie port so SLI for Intel isn't a concern. It depends on your usage and I repeat that 64-Bit extensions should not be a factor in your decision. Plus if you are so concerned about 64-bit, Intel is releasing the P4 6xx this year and they will be equipped with EM64T or 64-Bit. Which you can upgrade to from the 5xx series that are currently available right now since 6xx and 5xx use the same socket.

First of all, TheMajor, the 64-Bit extensions is no reason to go Athlon 64 right now.
But a built in memory controller, hypertransport capabilities, and a faster FSB are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom