PSU Problem? MB Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeeme

Solid State Member
Here is my situation. Yesterday my computer was running fine. I turned it off and came back about 2 minutes later to turn it on and I get nothing. Computer wil not power up at all, but I did notice that some of my USB (wireless remote antenna) and PS/2 (wireless keyboard) devices were receiving power.

I figured it was a power supply issue and I'm ready to order a new one. I decided to try and test the PSU unit outside the motherboard (short green wire on 20pin power connecter by grounding with and black ground on on the connecter). It fired up just fine so then I was very worried.

I then tried the PSU in another motherboard (does not have a video card or CPU-Just scrap) and it seems to power on fine.

So it seems to me that the PSU is fine. I really don't know. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Here are some specs:

AMD 64 3000+
512 RAM
ATI AIW 9600XT
80 GIG SATA
160 GIG IDE
450w PSU

Does everyone agree that it may be a dead motherboard? Any other suggestions are welcome as I have no idea otherwise.

Okay, I agree with this conclusion. I will still do some more tests to confirm it though.

What could have caused this motherboard to just die? A PSU with horrible 12V fluctuation maybe? Any comments are welcome as I want to aviod this situation from occuring a second time.

I'm second guessing myself. If the USB devices are recieving power would that mean that the motherboard is ok.

Ive had this problem once its not the motherboard obvisouly cause your USB devices are working and its not the PSU for the same reason. Check your ram Your computer will not turn on if there is something wrong with the ram

~make sure its plugged in all the way

~and that its not dead

Well, I have taken everything out and the MB is still not turning on. It has to be the MB.

I have a brand new 400W PSU the tests well. Still nothing. Guess I'll have to RMA it - only had it since the 20th. I have no idea what may have caused this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom