Windows XP Professional Edition Setup Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Alright. It's 4:20 AM, I haven't had any sleep yet. I'm formatting my other computer, because it recently been acting like crap lately. So hell, I formatted it.

Its specs:
8 Gig Western Digital 4200 RPM (I think) HD (came with 20 im using it now on my new computer)
700MHZ Amd Duron Processor
ATI All-In-Wonder-Pro Video Card (very old lol)
CD-Rom drive 24x
CD Burner (8x?)
It's a Compaq Presario 5000 (something like that)
Yea, it sucks but it's old.

Now, when I format, I install Windows XP Pro Edition and the installation works fine, it boots from cds, I format using NTFS.

However, though, when the setup starts to install the Windows XP Pro. Setup files it stops. It just doesn't stop on the same file, it stops on random files.
Here is where it stopped at:
27% - First time
12% - Second time
29% - Third time

I'm now on my 4th time formatting, which yea, sucks. I fixed this problem with my computer by removing my second harddrive. This computer has one harddrive. I already removed the second CD-Rom drive but it still refuses to work. I also removed the floppy drive.

Please let me know what to do.. Thanks

i had the same problem before,..removed the HD jumpers and everything went well,..however im not sure if this is the case if your pc. just thought i'd let you know.

devlish96 said:
i had the same problem before,..removed the HD jumpers and everything went well,..however im not sure if this is the case if your pc. just thought i'd let you know.

I'll see what I can do.. but I'm buying a new harddrive tonight, anyway. My new computer does this also, so both my computers does it EXCEPT my laptop and I'd like to know why :(!

No, I have Windows XP Home Edition, also and it does same thing.

The CD is brand new, just burnt.. (xp pro).. hehehe and my XP CD Home is legal (blah) from my laptop and it works fine, also. I'm running XP Pro now from the CD I burnt.

So no, it can't be corrupt files. It's probably a hardware conflict.

Actually, it is. =P

Not entirely true. I had this issue before and after troubleshooting for 3 times, i realise, its due to my CD rom which has problem picking up some part of the CD. Thats why eversince then, i avoid Samsung and Imation Drives.

James said:
Not entirely true. I had this issue before and after troubleshooting for 3 times, i realise, its due to my CD rom which has problem picking up some part of the CD. Thats why eversince then, i avoid Samsung and Imation Drives.

I keep all CDs protected (especially important ones)..

I believe this caused by a hardware issue with the CD rom drive, I have two of and come to think of it I should try the second one.

Thanks for your comments :)

.. I don't have a Samsung or Imation drive, neither :(!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom