ASUS A8V and winchester core amd 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
chrisgill369 said:
will a winchester core work on a ASUS A8V ... http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...oduct_uid=72725

someone said to make sure that the mobo is comaptible with winchester core.
its a socket 939 mobo so i would have thought so but just checking.

Thanks

funny you should ask, but YES it will work.

i just purchased an A8V Deluxe 939 socket mobo and an AMD64 3000+ w/ winchester core.

it's up and running.

this was my first AMD build, so i am getting used to the pros and cons of building your own.

also make sure to find out which version it is. there is a newer ver.2 motherboard out which is an improvement over the ver1.

so just make sure to get ver.2.

good luck!

EdoKoi

is the ver2 the deluxe board yeah?

it is also my first amd build, actually my first build lol. Im also getting the amd64 3000+ w/ winchester core. I did have my eyes set on the 754 version but was advised to get the 939 for upgradability in the future. I think i may be ordering some of my part tommorow, just gotta run it past my parents lol.

chrisgill369 said:
is the ver2 the deluxe board yeah?

it is also my first amd build, actually my first build lol. Im also getting the amd64 3000+ w/ winchester core. I did have my eyes set on the 754 version but was advised to get the 939 for upgradability in the future.

well, not exactly, i ordered the "Deluxe" but it was ver.1

ver 2. is also called "Deluxe" but you have to just ask the dealer if they know what version it is before buying.

i ordered mine from newegg.com, but didn't even realise there was a ver.2 until i had already placed my order.

and yes, i chose socket 939 for the same reason, when you decide to upgrade later, it is a great investment.

can't wait to throw an AMD FX-55 in it when the price drops...

but even though i have ver.1. just download the latest bios version 1008, if it's not on disk already, and things should be fine.

sorry for the late reply, didnt know you had added that reply.

One more question, does the motherboard come with a manual? and if so how good is it?

chrisgill369 said:
sorry for the late reply, didnt know you had added that reply.

One more question, does the motherboard come with a manual? and if so how good is it?

yes, my mobo came w/ a manual...however there were occasional points where i was scratching my head as to WHY my system wouldn't boot up, and the main cause was PROPERLY INSTALLING THE MEMORY IN THE CORRECT SLOT TO BOOT...

you have to put only 1 stick of RAM in slot B1 (blue slot) just to get the system to boot up into bios FIRST, then after that you're free to add more sticks if you want.

however, you MUST install indentical RAM sticks if you want to use the Dual Channel Mode function.

i don't have indentical RAM but it still works in single channel mode.

that was my main problem through the build.

the manual is pretty good, but just make sure you READ everything it says and don't try any shortcuts...just follow the instructions.

make sure to definately install the ASUS utility software and PC Probe which will tell you everything about your system.

any more questions....feel free to ask!

good luck!

i shouldnt have a problem with the RAM becuase im only getting one stick to start with :p
Probably go dual channel a few months later though. Ill post here if i have any more questions.

Thanks

oh yeah, im building it in stages becuase i cant afford to get it all at once. so how would i know whether my motherboard is working when it arrives bearing in mind im only going to have the mobo, memory and power supply. Is there a way to test it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom