video clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

æArchOAngelæ

Daemon Poster
alright i just looked at my video card on newegg and it says i have a memory clokc of 600 and a core clock of 500 but whne i run PC mark04 i have a memory clokc of 248 and my core clock is fine. is pcmark lying or is my card under clocked?? how do i clock it to what it should be?

this is what PC mark says
Description RADEON 9600 SERIES
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
Total Local Video Memory 256 MB
Total Local Texture Memory 256 MB
Total AGP Memory 118 MB
Driver File ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6497
Driver Details 8.082-041130a-019577C-ATI
Driver Date 11-30-2004
Driver WHQL Certified true
Max Texture Width 2048 px
Max Texture Height 2048 px
Max User Clipping Planes 6
Max Active Hardware Lights 8
Max Texture Blending Stages 8
Fixed Function Textures In Single Pass 8
Vertex Shader Version 2.0
Pixel Shader Version 2.0
Max Vertex Blend Matrices 37
Max Texture Coordinates 8
VGA Memory Clock 249.8 MHz
VGA Core Clock 499.5 MHz

Radeon 9600Pro should have:

Core Clock of 400MHz
Memory clocked at 300MHz DDR/ 600MHz Effective Speed

Radeon 9600XT should have:

Core Clock Speed 500MHz
Memory clocked at 300MHz DDR / 600MHz Effective Speed

If you want to see what your card is running at, download the really nice & free ATI Tool. This will also allow you to overclock the card if you so desire. You can find the utility here - http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

There is a chance your card has the memory underclocked but it could easily go to the 300MHz spec. The ATI Tool will allow you increase it.

Have fun!

i tryed the ati tool but whne i try to set it to defualt clocking which is 500/250 and mine is at 499/249 it will mess up with that 1% change, so is my card a dud? why does it advratise it to be 500/300?

wtf i dont understand, i tryed so many options and stuff but it says i should have a 300 memory and a 500 core , well the core is good on mine but the memory is still 248 and i cant make it to 250 without the screen turning black and i have to restart

Hmmm...if it is advertised at the 500/300 and if you cannot set it beyond 249, it seems as if the memory they put on thing is not quite up to snuff. I doubt a 50MHz difference will cost you too much in frame rate but you are not getting what you thought you paid for it seems.

Be careful, 3rd party video cards have OEM cards or have different makes such as an 'SE', etc. which means that card is not up to the standard XT. So, if you ordered an OEM card, etc., then there is not much you can do. If that is the case and you want to exchange it for a true 9600XT, then you will probably have to pay for shipping and pay for a restocking fee. If however, you truly bought a 9600XT and the memory can't run at stock speeds, you can probably call NewEgg, explain the situation, and ask that they replace your card with another card which is exactly the same make and model. That way you probably wont have to pay for a restocking fee but you will have to pay for shipping and handling.

I guess the question is....is it worth all of the hassle to see if another 9600XT card makes the grade?

That sux though. I would call them, explain the situation and see if they will pay for all the shipping and handling if you are correct.

Oh...and forgot to add, don't mention that you tried to bump up the memory speed because then they might say that voids the warranty. I would just explain that you used different tools and they all report a 50MHz lower memory clock than what you should have.

yeah, i think its worth thehassle simply because i ordered a 9600 xt with a 500/300 clock and never got what i paid for. its the principle

You might want to post your question here as well - http://forums.techpowerup.com/

There are a few posts there with people finding the same thing that you are...memory that is underclocked for their 9600XT.

Maybe your drivers are not allowing you to change the settings at all. I saw in the latest stable version of ATI Tool...the following fix:
- Removal of Catalyst overclocking lock for 9000/9200/9550/9600 series.

Finally, another post mentioned the following:

1. Run DriverCleaner and then install the latest normal drivers, nothing tweaked or modified.
2. Scan for artifacts at the stock settings for awhile to make sure the heat behaves.
3. If all is good so far, go through the normal routine with ATITool, but only up to about 550/330 at the most. I say that only because I destroyed a 9800PRO (Hynix vram) last year with ATITOOL.
4. If you want to try for more speed, definitely get some good ramsinks and a good GPU cooler. After you're confident its fine then you can mess with different drivers, etc.

You might want to be careful with the overclocking though since it seems to be giving you fits. I don't want to see you frying your card... :)

In the end, my bet is it is the card and cheap memory and there is not much you can do other than to live with it or return it.

One last thing...if you call and they state they will exchange your card only for the same exact card (make & model), my guess is the new card will have the same crappy memory.

I would see if you could exchange it for a different manufacuter of a 9600XT. Also, if the card you bought is cheaper than all of the other 9600XT's on New Egg...well...you might know why now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom