Help: CPU Won't even start ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuparon

Solid State Member
I don't know if this is the right thread so if it's not i'm sorry

Ok, I went to turn my computer off this afternoon by going to START > Turn off Computer > Turn Off. I then went to turn it on no longer than 20 minutes ago and this is what happened. and I've tried one more time and it did the same thing.

I press the "Power button" and aftetr like 2 seconds there preceeds to be a long "BEEEEEEEEEEEP, followed by another long "BEEEEEEEEEEEP" and it just continues to do that till I either restart my computer or turn if off. If I restart the cpu it just does the same thing.

During the long "BEEPING" the green power button is on as well as the yellow light when press the restart button.

I'm pritty sure it wasn't a virus since I'm a little to paranoid about those and I scan with 2 programs every afternoon when I go to work from 11-2.

Also nothing shows up on the computer screne though If it couldn't find a graphic card driver I think it does a series of certain beeps and not a long beep after another.

I use Adaware SE Pro and Bullguard for virus scans and bullguard for firewall as well

Here are my ststem specs if needed, whjich I assume are
- V2 PREMIER
- Windows XP Home
- 3.2 GH P4 Processor w/HT Tech
- 1024 MB HyperX DDR 400MHz DIMM 2-2-2-5 (2x 512 MB Sticks)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 OC 256 MB

That's about all the info I know off hand

It sounds like a loose processor or memory chip or video card. Are you comfortable with the inside of your computer.If so I would check all the above vid card first memory chips next and the processor chip last the processor chip is normally locked down pretty good so just check it for over dusty and make sure the fan is spinning. Make sure and ground yourself before touching anything inside the computer by touching some mettle on the cover of your computer.

both you have noted what I've been getting help on from another forum.

I have check both my RAM and Grahic Cards made sure they were in properly and cleaned of dust, I only know a few things about this particular CPU as I got it as a gift about 3 months ago.

- V2 PREMIER
- Windows XP Home
- 3.2 GH P4 Processor w/HT Tech
- 1024 MB HyperX DDR 400MHz DIMM 2-2-2-5 (2x 512 MB Sticks)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 OC 256 MB

I'll copy / past the other messge board help below

might be hard to understand but here it is ..

.: EDIT :. here's the URL http://pctechforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4191

================================================
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be your RAM.

I would take out the RAM sticks, make sure they're not dirty, and stick 'em back in, making sure they are both in properly.

Also check your video card, could be that too.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

ok, i'll go up to check them now

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

made sure both were clean and inserted correctly and still doesn't work >.<

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what version of BIOS you have, but check this link

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

And if not, try this one

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

all I get is one long beep. stopped counting after 1he 15th one.

I looked on the site and I couldn't fine anything for just one long beep, 2 long beeps, but IBM did have one for three long beeps.

And if I have an IBM one, could be a keyboard card Error

I don't know the specific manufacturer *sp* I have. Any way to tell w/o turning the cpu on? Got the CPU as a about a month ago and don't know any of the specifics except for the stuff that I put in it

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple questions...

Did you make any changes at all before you shut off your computer for the last time? Does the monitor display anything at all? Do you know what kind of motherboard is in the PC?

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

The second website under IBM it had a continuous beep which stated either ...

Power supply (doesn't seem like the problem but might be), system board, or keyboard problem

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post

did I make any changes ... no I didn't

Motherboard ... Sorry don't know brand of motherboard as I didn't buy the computer but got it as a gift about a month ago and only the things I've put in it I know the information to. >.<

It sounds like a loose processor or memory chip or video card. Are you comfortable with the inside of your computer.If so I would check all the above vid card first memory chips next and the processor chip last the processor chip is normally locked down pretty good so just check it for over dusty and make sure the fan is spinning. Make sure and ground yourself before touching anything inside the computer by touching some mettle on the cover of your computer.

where's the processor chip located? if I can get a rough Idea of where it is, i'll be able to check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom