Help in choosing new Mobo+CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsetkhan

Solid State Member
Hi, well my ecs mobo just shorted out(yay!) so now i need to buy a new one, as well as a new cpu since mine was only 2.2ghz. Could u guys give me some recommendations on buying a new one. I've read good things about ASUS boards and maybe an Athlon 64 for the cpu, the FX ones are damn expensive at the moment. I knew stuff about computers like 2 years ago when i graduated with a degree in computers, but since then, i haven't kept up with the times, so all this new mobo/cpu terminology is new to me. I got 2 512 sticks of PC2100 ddr memory incase u need that info. Pricerange i would say between $200-$400 Oh yeah one more question is their like a ratio between athlon processors and pentium processors. I see pentium has processors at like 3.4ghz while the top AMD FX processors is like 2.2ghz. So how fast would a a athlon 4000 rated at 2.4 ghz, be comparable to what on a pentium. Thanks for your help, its much apreciated.

Well AMD's do much more per clock cycle than Intels so a 2.4Ghz FX-55 64bit CPU will outperform up to 3.6GHz Intel processor depending on the model.

PC2100 is incredibly slow especially if you are planning on an AMD64 system you basically need to get rid of that.

If you want to go the 64bit CPU route I suggest something like the ABit AX8-3rd Eye( this board is PCI-Express so if you want AGP you'll need the AV8-3rd eye) or the MSI Neo2-Platinum(AGP) both of which I found to be good boards. IMO asus has gone down the hill in quality and tech support REALLY sucks bad...but a lot of people still like them.

Those boards I listed are like $125-$150 and a good Socket 939 CPU would be something like the 3500+ AMD64 which I believe is down to like $150 now.

There's already $300 and you still need to get no less than 512mb of RAM preferably 1gb if you can fork out that cash for some PC3200 DDR400 RAM.

You don't really need high performance RAM unless you're overclocking so if you're not then I'd suggest just sticking with some good ValueRAM by one of these companies:

OCZ
Corsair
Kingston
Mushkin

Those are all good RAM makers IMO.

Best websites for purchases are:

www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com

incase you needed some resources.

I suggested the 3500+ because below that performance wise it's somewhat worthless, and going above that is generally pretty pricey CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom