dual channel ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 256 stick would work in a DC mode like that SOOOO i get a 256+512 and it would opperate that way

how would i get it to work like that or does it config somehow??
You said you had 1 256 stick and were planning on getting 2x512 so how would your 256mb stick work like he described? Also you have to make sure you have the exact brand name, size and RAM timings in the sticks for them to work.

You're best with just getting 2x512 and checking your motherboard to determine which slots gets you DC, but generally it's 1&3 for most boards I believe.

no the gimpy cow is wrong man. dont listen to that cat. you gotta stick the two chips in the corresponing dimms. having two chips streamed in dual channel and one in single is pointless.
He's not wrong. In some cases you can run 2x256 in slots 1 and 2 and a third 512mb stick in slot 3 and DC is achieved. Not that it happens ALL the time, but it is possible.

having two chips streamed in dual channel and one in single is pointless.
If he had 3 chips in it wouldn't be '2 streaming in DC' and 'one in single' they'd all be in single channel mode

Does running dual channel RAM really make that much of a difference? Can somone explain to me what it does? Just how much advantage does dual channel ram have over lets say 1GB of RAM in single channel? Because that's what I have.

i know that. i was saying that it would be pointless.
Not if it works for him.

Does running dual channel RAM really make that much of a difference? Can somone explain to me what it does? Just how much advantage does dual channel ram have over lets say 1GB of RAM in single channel? Because that's what I have.
Anywhere from 5%-20% so generally it's pretty much agreed it's not a HUGE boost in performance but still every bit counts

That is probably the safest bet Philo. I must make the same decision but I have two sticks of 256MB DDR so it is a bit more wasteful if I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom