dual channel ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

philo67

Baseband Member
hey there i want to get 2x512 dual channel and have a 256 stick what effect will it have on the smaller stick or should i leave it out :confused:

just stick with the two chips in dual channel. streaming that shit with the 256 mb will slow it down.

If you want to run in dual channel and you want to buy two 512MB sticks, you will have to leave it out. I belive you can run with different size sticks if you do the following:

Memory Slot 1 - 256 MB
Memory Slot 2 - 256 MB
This would be the first channel

Memory Slot 3 - 512 MB
This would be the second channel.

The channels must balance in terms of the size of the memory.

As for mixing memory, I have a question about that myself. I have two sticks of 256 MB high performance Corsair memory and I was wondering if I could pair those with a stick of 512MB Kingston HyperX memory to run in dual channel. I dunno.

No the brands and sizes must match. Yes I have heard of the RAM running in dual channel using 2x256 on Channel A and one 512mb stick on Channel B but I think that's generally pretty rare. Also you HAVE to use the same make and brand of RAM with exact timings and everything. From what I've gathered dual channel can be picky at times, and others you could possibly get lucky.

But for the most part gimpy I highly doubt you'll be able to get two different brand names especially to work out.

gimpycow said:
If you want to run in dual channel and you want to buy two 512MB sticks, you will have to leave it out. I belive you can run with different size sticks if you do the following:

Memory Slot 1 - 256 MB
Memory Slot 2 - 256 MB
This would be the first channel

Memory Slot 3 - 512 MB
This would be the second channel.

The channels must balance in terms of the size of the memory.

my 256 stick would work in a DC mode like that SOOOO i get a 256+512 and it would opperate that way

how would i get it to work like that or does it config somehow??

Thanks Nubios. That is what I figured but I don't want to buck up for 2 sticks of 512MB DDR. If I do, I will feel like I wasted my current memory...which wasn't cheap... :)

no the gimpy cow is wrong man. dont listen to that cat. you gotta stick the two chips in the corresponing dimms. having two chips streamed in dual channel and one in single is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom