Need A HeatSink/Fan Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I need to pick a new cpu heatsink and fan. I live in muggy hot florida, in a house with bad airconditioning and bad insulation. One of the computers in my house has an amd xp 3000 processor and is being cooled by a coolermaster with 3600 rpm . Still, my temps rarely get lower than 52c idle, and often reach 58-60c during load.

Obvious precautions are now being made: I'm installing the computer in a cabinet with customized fan coolers installed in the shelf itself. In addition i've installed an airconditioner in the room where the pc is (the central air unit is a piece of garbage).

The room temp plays a great deal in this. If it's a hot day (just about every day in florida) then the cpu temp is high (54c-56c idle). On special days, cloudy days or rainy days, with the ac on, it might be at 50c if i'm lucky. I'm looking to replace the coolermaster with a more powerful fan capable of more rotations per minute, and preferrably more air volume.

Can anyone out there suggest a different model? How good is the ThermalQuake Volcano?? I'd prefer something around 5000 rpm.

If your idle temperatures are that high I'd recommend you look into some water cooling rather than just fans alone.

Yeah, i thought about that, but then we're getting into case modification and what not. What a pain. :(

ThermalTake Extreme Volcano 12+, But you did say it is in your room, the fan never goes below 5500rpm if you set it at high speed, but it is kinda noisy, But it should blow away your cooler master.

Hmm. Thanks Alex, for your suggestions.

If i did consider going the way of the water cooler... what would you all suggest for an amdxp 3000 (Socket A)? Don't i also need to find out if my board has holes drilled for a cooler/cpu block gizmo? Heh... for lack of an appropriate verbiage.

The ThermalTake 12+ keeps my computer below 51c During load. It is EXTREMELY loud however. Can hear it in the background while playing music through my Sennhieser Headphones... :(

I looked at a few watercoolers at newegg. Not bad. I need to find one compatible with a socket A, though.

That's probably the cheapest I've ever seen a vapochill, but still, I doubt he'll go that route. It's rather unpractical. Besides who needs -45C temps

::mumbles...I wish I had -45C temps :p ::

Heh. Yeah that's major overkill. If i wanted to go all out i would just buy a small air conditioner and install it in the cabinet that my computer actually resides in, which is something i did consider. I could easily vent all the cold air towards the computer enclosure (which i built to hold 4 units) and elminate my problems. I'd rather not install another airconditioner in this room (already have one in the window in addition to a faulty central air unit).

I might actually go ahead and get a watercooling system. I just need to figure out what i want to get and what price i want to pay. Of course... a window airconditioner would probably end up cheaper. Makes ya go Hmmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom