A noob question about the NF7-s

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnymanboy

In Runtime
I know alot of people on teh boards have this board, and I want to ask a short 2 questions,

1. Is AGP, PCI already locked? Or how to lock it?

2. My memory is at 418? mhz when its supposed to be at 400, it seems that its increasing with the overclock. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Well when you lock the AGP the PCI is automatically locked. WIth those boards in the BIOS theres just an option to set the AGP frequency at 66MHz, this is locking it.

If you've pushed your CPU FSB to 209 then yeah you're overclocking your memory as well.

Unless you put the memory on a different ratio than the CPU it will be timed exactly with the CPU. You want a 1:1 ratio for best performance, but you should know what you're doing when it comes to OCing RAM because it's a bit different than OC'ing the CPU.

If you have PC3200 RAM either change the CPU:DRAM ratio or learn how to OC the RAM.

Take not though, that when you increase the FSB of either the CPU or the RAM then even if you have DDR500 RAM it won't matter if your CPU can't communicate to it at that speed.

So trying to find a balance between a high CPU Clock and keeping it at 200FSB with a 1:1 ratio is ideal.

So you're saying, I should go on to multiplier now?, BTW: My ram is Kingston HyperX. So its not total junk.

wasn't saying you had junk RAM, but also it'd help if you had a sig with your comp details.

Anywho, it doesn't matter what kind of RAM you have. You get so far you're going to have to adjust RAM timings and voltages...so until you're ready to do that, just focus on obtaining the fastest CPU clock speed you can achieve.

I'd suggest putting the FSB down at 200 and figuring out your max stable CPU speed first, and then if you wish to increase your RAM speed, total FSB and all that, then do that later when you can focus solely and making sure the RAM is stable.

Assuming your chip is stock speed of 2GHz (not saying it is, but since you have no sig this is an example)

Start off with like 12x166 = 1.992GHz and just keep raising the FSB by 5Mhz increments until you can get up to 200, then you'll have 200x12 = 2.4GHz but along the way you need to check with prime95 for stability and make sure you up the Vcore accordingly.

Usually prime95 is like this:

1. Takes a few mins then displays an error = Barely need some more Vcore for Stability

2. You get an error immediately = You need probably atleast .075 raise in Vcore

3. Prime95 freezes as the testing begins = You need quite a bit more Vcore for stability and to get prime95 error free

4. Crashes during windows boot = Obviously quite far away from the needed Vcore amount

5. Your computer doesn't post = either you've found the CPU's max in clock speed, or you have no where near enough Vcore to offer stability to the current speed.

Once you hit 12x200 = 2.4GHz then knock the multiplier up to 14 and change the FSB to 170 for 14x170 = 2.380GHz and repeat the process. So if 2.4GHz wasn't your ceiling you can safely keep testing for the highest clock speed. Of course hitting 200 will be impossible in this situation unless you have like insane water cooling, but that'd be 2.8GHz which I doubt you'll hit.

So that way you'll be able to find your top CPU clock speed and then after you know that adjust your FSB and multiplier accordingly. After you've done that you can try OCing your RAM by raising the FSB past 200 and adjusting the multiplier so that you keep the same CPU clock speed

Lol, my mobo didnt detect the proc correctly. Its default settings were like 100*5! 500mhz

I re-looked the stats on newegg,

2500+ XP-m

AQYHA (damn)

1.83 ghz normal.

Ill try ur 12x166 = 1.992GHz idea, sounds solid.

Yeah assuming that you've left the Ratio set to 1:1, 3:3, 4:4, 5:5, 6:6 then whatever the FSB is set at the RAM will follow it. I'd just leave it at 1:1 because it'd be too much of a pain adjusting the ratio everytime you adjusted the CPU FSB trying to find your top CPU clock.

But yeah, right now you're underclocking the RAM and that's fine for now.

Hmm, I've only had about 10 hours of run-time, is this enough?

It seems my volts are not correct either/

1.575V CPU Voltage

RAM: 2.6V

10 hours in prime95 or what?

And why do you think your voltages aren't correct?

1.575 is normal for an XP-Mobile to work under assuming you haven't started going WAY above the normal stock speed, but I believe by default that one in particular is 1.45Vcore on stock speeds

2.6 is normal DRam voltage too although a lot of high performance RAM takes 2.7

2005!---------- Reporting in att 12:45

I just had prime95 running since 6 o clock

good, but only at like 2100mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom