Download Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorrNemesis

Solid State Member
I have just formatted my computer and installed Windows 2000 onto it. While attempting to download a few basic programs to my computer, some would not download (such programs as OpenOffice). I had a friend download these and tried to send them to me, but it would always fail to send. Eventually, I got the idea of having them winrar the files, and it was finally then able to send. This was just a small annoyance since it did not occur very often (one of ten, maybe). I have lately tried to download a very large file, and the same error occured, and it is too large to have someone else download and winrar it.

The nature of the error isn't a nice messagebox that pops up and tells me. It gets to about 1.2% complete when it just stops. If I pause and resume the download, it continues about 0.1% more, and stops again. After then, pausing an resuming does nothing. If I try to download it again, it is no longer able to find the filesize and gives me no details on the file. It continues to about 1.2%, and, yet again, stops. I have tried Internet Explorer, Firefox, and various downloading managers hoping that one of them would work. Programs that download it in chunks will download all sections except the first. I dismissed the idea that it could be caused by a virus since I had just formatted the computer, but I can't bee 100% on that one.

I'm ready to tear my hair out trying to solve this, so I was hoping someone else could possibly help me.

Thank you,
WorrNemesis

hmmm sounds like one h3ll of a problem. Honestly I have no idea, I've never seen that before. You could always use ftp and download it that way _most_ sites have an ftp server that you can use, again not all. Whare are you downloading this file from? if its anything other then that it could be the way your getting it... bittorrent/ircbot/what ever else. Im thinking its just a website your downloading from, maybe you could try another mirror of theres Im pretty sure openoffice has plenty. Are you using some soft of popup blocker or spyware guard? maybe the site hit a mainstream black list and is somehow getting blocked on your end? If the site is some what respectable like freshmeat.com or something you could add it as a trusted site? ( add *.freshmeat.net - for example) Thats about all I can come up with right now, I just got back from the gym and my body and mind are done. Ill post some more Ideas if they come to me. Post with what site/file and means of file transfer your using and ill see if I can maybe reproduce the error or stall? I dunno, hope that helps a little mate.

Well, it's not just http, it's ftp, and whatever aim uses (I have not idea), plus some other methods I've come up with. Not only that, it's not just the website I'm trying to download from. For example, OpenOffice has tons of mirrors, somewhere over 20 if I remember correctly. It's the file itself that won't download, no matter where from, no matter what port. That I know of, I'm not running anything that would be filtering/modifying/looking at what I download other than Windows and whatever I'm downloading it with.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but these files that mysteriously won't download, will equally mysteriously work :sigh:. OpenOffice was one of those that did that. After about a week, maybe two, it suddenly would download. The current file that I'm trying to download, but won't is this. I want to burn it to a CD for when I get my new computer which should be here in a week or so. This file get's to 9.0mb before quitting on me. And this, like the others, after my first attempt to download it won't show me any of it's attributes (or whatever they're called), such as file size and that. If anything, I'm going to install Windows on that system first, then I will burn the cd from there.

This probably doesn't matter, but I'm networked to a Linksys Wireless-B router and I have DSL. This problem is just my computer, my friend's laptop was able to download these files fine through my network, although mine will still have this problem. I don't care too much though, since once my new computer comes then that should be able to download these mystery files. I'm still open to any ideas at all.

Thanks,
WorrNemesis

hmmm sh1t, is this a wireless b connection or wired? ... you could try ping -t www.<site>.com >> temp.txt and let that for for an or so and then see if theres any packet lose? ...... is it just when you download iso files? or maybe you only notice this problem because of there size?

The wireless is for my xbox, I have an ethernet between my computer and the router, so it's not losing packets, atleast I don't think. I believe ith as to be something in the software of Windows because that was just about all that was installed when this started happening. I wonder if one of the winsock dll's could be corrupt and I should try putting a new one on. Oh well, I'll keep tinkering with it and hope that I'll eventually find a solution.

Thanks,
WorrNemesis

Well, another file that wouldn't download, the Java Applet plugin from here worked today when I tried it. It was another one of the files that previously didn't download, but after a while, as did OpenOffice, it worked. I'm at my wit's end and have come up with nothing nor has any of my coworkers (I work at a computer store). Please, I would appreciate any help possible.

Yesterday I got a cable connection and just cancelled my old DSL and the problem still persists. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works! I'm really thinking about formatting it again and attempting another install, but I really don't want to resort to that with all the files I'll have to back up. Please, anyone have any idea???

WorrNemesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom