Windows update problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I installed xp home on my dad's computer and was able to instal everything. I just keep getting errors when trying to access windows update online.

A page with this information comes up:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
with error number [Error number: 0x800A0046]

I have looked around and even searched that error number and cant seem to find anything to fix the problem. In services I have Automatic Updates started and automatic.

Thanks for any help.

is it a legit copy of xp? do you have a connection to the internet? are you behind a proxy? if so are your settings filled in correctly?

When you installed it did you install it over the original operating system. Or did you completely Restart your computer over and do it?

If you did it that way, it may be having a problem identifying what windows update. Im sure their anit a great probability of this happening, just another thing to take in conseteration. But i can see windows having this problem.

I wiped the drive by deleting the primary partition, then recreated the partition, next I formated it and installed windows. It was installed fresh. I dont see how it could have any problems. This version of xp home came with sp2.

I've had this happen on the windows update site, what I usually do is keep hitting refresh and or I completely close IE and just try the windowsupdate from the tools menu and it usually will update, but I have also seen where it doesn't and what I've done is completely power off the pc, turn back on and connect to the internet and then run the windowsupdate from the tools menu again. I know this isn't very techical but thats what worked for me... you may also want to delete everything from the windows/temp directory (I think this is where the windows updates are temporarily downloaded to until the updates are actually installed) and try to update again. Some of the updates probably got corrupted during the download (especially if you are on a dial-up connection). Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom