New system, can't decide on a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Person

Baseband Member
Hello everyone!
I'm currently planning to build a new PC with my limited budget. I can't seem to decide on a processor I should pick. Not really what brand but because of what other components I will be able to pick up later. I really want to go with AMD Athlon 64, because then I can use the nForce SLI board, which is really nice for future upgradeability (because of the two cards). But then again Intel has some very nice processors too. I can't seem to decide what to buy. Should I go with AMD and SLI, or go with P4 3.4E GHz.
Two products im considering:
p4 3.40E GHz
Atholn 64 3500+
Choosing the processor will greatly affect the other components I get so I would appreciate any help :beard:.
Thanks! :beard:

What about the cache of both those (p4 having twice as much L2)? Will that make a big difference for gaming and and some very processor intensive tasks?
Also, which core should I look for if going AMD?

Clawhammer 90nm, and get a mobo that supports the 90nm version, or just get the 130nm version.

The cache will make some difference, but I would get the AMD, cause it will run 64bit apps/OS in the future.

All I can see from ClawHammers that is cheaper than $680 :))) are socket 754 CPUs. Won't support SLI motherboards as far as I can see :(. What about the Newcastle core? Or Winchester?

Ooops..... the 90nm is Winchester

I would get the Winchester 90nm or Newcastle 130nm.
The Winchester has problems on some mobo's requiring a BIOS flash. Make sure the board supports it. Post on TF to ask. The Winchester runs cooler thean the Newastle.

The Clawhammers are only 754 or FX cpu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom