DSL over a phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

B34ST1Y

In Runtime
Hey, I've done some research on the workings of DSL, and I was wondering...even WITH special programming, is it possible for a regular 56k modem to utilize the bandwidth over the phone line? I mean house 2 house....because I know that you can call a person with your modem, and have a VPN with the two modems, but the bandwidth is limited, so I was wondering if the 56kpbs is a software limitation...hardware...or somethin else.....basically I want to know if I can utilize the different frequencies on the phoneline that it is capable of doing (see how DSL works for that) WITHOUT going through an ISP. so House 2 House DSL speeds with a 56kbps modem...or even a DSL modem house 2 house.

the modem can't carry the signal. The cable going to a DSL line isn't a normal phone connection like the one that goes into your 56k modem. They use bigger connections that look like phone cables called RJ-45 whereas the smaller normal phone lines are RJ-11

Yeah and plus... DSL runs on the copper wire. I just got DSL installed and I love it.

but in fact DSL just runs at a different frequency so in effect if both of the people had the right DSL hardware, in THEORY they should be able to communicate at speeds exceeding even that of commercial DSL... just my thoughts.

Nubius said:
the modem can't carry the signal. The cable going to a DSL line isn't a normal phone connection like the one that goes into your 56k modem. They use bigger connections that look like phone cables called RJ-45 whereas the smaller normal phone lines are RJ-11
Isn't that ethernet cable you are talking about? When I had DSL, the only ethernet cable went from the modem to the computer, but from the wall to the modem was still plain ol phone wire, only with a high speed phone plug, meaning the connector still plugged into the same wall jack that regular phones plugged into, so it's still the same size wire, only an external modem is needed.

Yes, DSL uses the normal RJ-11 phone cable to transfer digital data, same with dial-up... but that's analog. ISDN is digital also.

The point is, YOU CANT DO IT...you need a DSL Modem to take the signal out of the phone lines, do whatever it does, and then send the fatter signal out through the thicker line to your computer.

Yeah the line that goes into the DSL modem is a normal phone line, but it's what the DSL modem does to that signal is where the importance runs in. Not only that but you have to setup a server with the MacAddress that's provided on the modems.

Point being I don't believe you can simply set up your computer as a server to deliver 'bandwidth' to someone because that's basically what you are trying to do.

I don't know how exactly DSL works, but you gotta supply the bandwidth from somewhere...in this case your computer which would probably require quite a bit of networking skills assuming it's even in the slightest bit possible, but to basically answer your question

No you can't simply send DSL bandwidth through a 56k modem. The modems architecture I believe limits it as well as the actual lines used to transfer data.

Its not possible at all. The modem bandweidth allows it to carry more data quanta. While the 56k bandwidth is alot less.

omg...maybe I wasnt clear... i DONT WANT TO run DSL thru 56k....and btw, if you've never had dialup, or used dialup to make a VPN across the phone lines with someone...then don't tell me it wont work. I'm attempting (to reiterate myself) to take 2 DSL modems, give one to my friend, (put the proper filters on both lines) and WITH THAT DSL MODEM (not the 56k modem), "call" his house and have his DSL modem answer it...thus creating a replica of the VPN I explained how to create earlier, only at MUCH higher speeds. THEN I have my friend, (who is also a subscriber to Comcast highspeed) BRIDGE the two connections...(my DSL connection with him, and HIS connection to his internet) and HAVING SAID THAT, now do you understand what im saying? if you don't know how DSL works, then with all due respect, dont reply, because Nubius, you may be a seasoned poster, but you pretty much said yourself, that you don't know much on DSL, and you still told me your counter theory of how it COULDNT work. I KNOW what a LAN cord is...I KNOW the difference between an RJ47 and an RJ11 cord...*takes a deep breath*...there....chew on that for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom