AMD 64 processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boner

Beta member
Is it true that you need a power supply with at least 24amps on the 12v rail?

I just bought a new case with power supply, it had only 20amps on the 12v rail (450w) and it would not power up my system. My older power supply which came with my case for 30 bucks 3 years ago is a 400w power supply with 25amps on the 12v rail, which it powers up my system fine. So I switched the old power supply to my new case and it's fine, but I'm also wondering, since that power supply is so friggen old, if I should get a new one or not, and a suggestion of one would be helpful too, since I don't know a whole lot about power supplies.

Heres mine will it work for my 64?
FEATURES

300 watts maximum output
Dual ball bearing fan design with external fan
Built-in serial ATA connectors
Built-in voltage overload protection
Voltage switch for 115/230V AC input
AC inlet, monitor outlet, and On/Off switch
Support Intel "Petium-4" and AMD "Athlon XP"
Complies with ATX 2.03 and ATX12V 1.1

SPECIFICATIONS

Model: PSLP6100C
Dimensions 6"Wx3.6H"x6.6"D
Material All metal construction
AC Input 115/230, 10A/6A, 60Hz/50Hz
Max Load +3.3@28A, +5@30A, +12@15A, -5@0.3A, -12@0.8A, +5vsb@2A
MTBF 100K hrs at 25°C ambient conditions
Efficiency 70% Min. at full load
Noise Level Maximum of 37db at 100% system loading
Safety UL, CB, CE, TUV, and FCC

24amps on the 12v rail is a good idea but that psu that came with your case should have powered up the system. It sounds like it may be a dud. If the amps on the rails are higher on your old psu I would use it. You can use a volt meter ? or something to test the rails if you think it may be weak from it's age.

Nah, the new psu with the 20a on the 12v works with my athlon xp, but not with my new amd 64. So it's not a dud, i really think you need like 24a on the 12v rail.

so 13a on the 12v is not good then..... sounds really low, mind you that is just off the top of my head, it could be completly wrong lol

Well, I read on different forums somewhre that you want at least 18a on it for xp or or high p4's, yet my bro is runnin a P4 1.6 on a 10-13a 12v rail... I'm not really sure that's why I was asking initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom