Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
What I want to do is build a small file server/junk computer for my network. This will be a computer that I will use to do all the things that I know are going to infect my computer will adware, and spyware, that you can never get rid of without a complete reformat. Also I will use it to store, and pass along files, music, school work, ect... Long story short, I need some recommendations on parts for a basic file server. I don't think I need anything special in terms of audio or video, but I have no idea what I would need in CPU speed or ram. But I do think a fast hard drive would access and move data alot faster. Anyway, if you could give me some help on parts.

Well you could go with the basics, 20gb hard drive for cheap, cheap stick of 256mb DDR ram, you can find cheap everything that will work just fine for what you are looking for..should run around maybe 3-500 ?

Perhaps setup a RAID 0+1? Or if redundancy isn't important, just the RAID 0. You can use like two 20GB EIDE HDD for speedy access. Video and sound can use onboard conrollers, nic, etc. Should be a cheap system. Get the value DDR ram, because they are cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom