PCs, routers, and networks, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy the Linksys Router and the Linksys PCI adapters. Linksys has a wizard that will guide you through configuring the router and all adapters. I have a the Linksys Router that you are thinking of buying. I have it hooked to my main desktop running Win XP Pro by ethernet. I have a second PC running Win 98SE connected wireless with a PCI adapter, a third desktop running Win XP Pro connected wireless with a PCI adapter, and a laptop running Win XP Pro connected wireless with a notebook adapter. It took about an hour to have all of these up and running.

SovietX, I'll defintely give you a PM when the time comes for help. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm sticking with the Linksys router and the PCI adapters as m3incorp suggested. Everyone else told me to get that particular brand because of the easy config. Can't wait to get the cable internet hooked up and installed. DSL isn't available in my area so I have no choice but cable. Probably start on it in February on that, but in the meantime, I'm going to be building me an Athlon 64 powered system to go along with this system I'm typing on. THat's why I plan on networking them together and share internet at the same time.

There isn't a whole lot of nForce 4 Ultra supported boards out there. I believe only Gigabyte and Chaintech support a socket 939 PCIe motherboards using the nFOrce 4 chipsets. Yup, it has to be a PCIe supported motherboard. I like to use that new SATAII technology where transfer rates are around 3Gig/s? Whew, fast. Plus I hear there's a lot of potential for PCIe graphics in the future. There's the SLI boards also, but I dont care about the two video card deal for performance. I'm just going to use the MSI geforce 6600GT and that will be good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom