New Laptop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

prmtexmex

Beta member
Just purchased a new Toshiba laptop A10 that comes with XP Home, which i don't want. I'm using Win2000 on my home computer with no problems, very stable. Laptop instructions say that once you turn it on for first time, you must follow through with setup instructions.

My question is can I install Win2000 on this laptop, which would entail a lot of update installations as well, or should i go to XP Pro and install that. Are there any pitfalls I'm not seeing here?

I am not good with laptops, I dont even have one but I don't really see why not! Personally though, I like Windows XP better then Windows2000 and WinXP Pro only has a few more security features! So personally...You either have:

A) Take my answer and just go for the installation.
B) Just keep Windows XP Home on your Laptop
C) Wait till someone who knows about laptops replys

If you take my answer and want to install 2000 or XP Pro, I'd personally go with XP Pro! :D Of course, It depends on what your using the laptop for! If your gonna use it for Internet, Mail and IM's ... I'd say just keep XP Home!

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to go to XP Pro. Reason is that I will prob be linking to companies shortly and from what I understand about XP Home, there are some problems in doing that. Also, once you have Home, there is no upgrade path to Pro, just an upgrade of Home which isn't supposed to be as good.

I have a Compaq Presario 906US laptop. It came with Windows XP Home Edition, but I formatted (because I don't like factory software such as AOL, etc that they install) it and install Windows XP Professional.

You definitally made the right choice of not downgrading to Windows 2000, I personally DO like it a lot but Windows XP is more secure and faster then Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is not plug-and-play compitable like XP, so you hook something up you have to install it yourself, spend all that time when XP does it in a matter of seconds.

Good luck!

Yup. Home Edition dun allow you to connect ur laptop to a domain network. You can only have workgroup features.

well i would have gone with XP pro as well, XP has got a "run in compatibility mode for Windows 95/98/2000/ME so you can run older games on it, but with windows 2000 it doesn't

also XP Pro has got things like gpedit, and more updated versions of network setups and all that sorta stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom